1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLATINUIM WHAT HAPPENED?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by stuwie, Jun 18, 2004.

1. stuwie

stuwie Member

I am new to this forum. So I will keep it simple. I have been using platinum for 4 months with a few of my own tweeks to improve the program its been fine. yesterday,on the net looking for a dvd cover I was redirected to a off set site non english and by mistake hit a button. since then platinum will rip but will not Burn! In fact the DRIVE SELECT file does not detect my TDK burner. I had to Re partition by C drive as soon after the system crashed. I re-installed the program 3x to no avail. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECAITED
    THANKS

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean you did a clean install? And have you tried un-installing your burner, rebooting and letting XP re-install it? Are you up to date with your burners firmware? Can you even burn anything?? data?

3. stuwie

stuwie Member

thanks for your response FLIP :) your the 2nd person today who told me to do that. so right now 2040 est i will. But i have to say easy cd creator 6 is on my system ( p4 2.4g 1 g ram tdk indigo burner standard dvd reader) and it did burn data/ video/ and music files to a dvd-r disc with no problems.

4. flip218

I used to have Roxio 6, even had drag-to-disc and it still worked. Now you've got 2 optical drives. Make sure you burner is you master and your dvd-rom is your slave. And I was the second person to say what?? Another thing you can try is updating your aspi layer.

5. stuwie

stuwie Member

Hey Flip sorry about all of the B.S anyway the second person to tell me to remove the drive and let xp find it. I tried and to no avail. the same S--T. HOW WOULD I MAKE the READER AND BURNER master and slave differance out side of opening the Case? I dont know what you mean about the aspi layer.See the program worked fine up until I tried to dowload the Cover. Just as you stated it does work with Creator 6. Could there still be a Virus? Every single program on my system works/ every driver/ everything Except DVD Platinum. It just does'nt make sense. And the strange part ot it is it used to work but does'nt. THANKS FLIP

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy stuwie Welcome to our little forum,

You've mentioned that you have a CD Creator on your system so you should be aware that 321 products don't work well with Roxio products. Yes, I heard you say it did before, you were lucky, that's all. If you contact 321 the first thing they will tell you is to uninstall Roxio -

Please check their trouble site - http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/49908

We don't tell you these things lightly - almost everyone here has DVD XCopy (me too) they all had trouble and so now they all use something else - mostly free programs that work better than XCopy -

I just ask you to please at least read the 321 XCopy "Blacklist."

Here is the link for 321's XCopy forum too: http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/66

They are here on AfterDawn's site, we try to help everyone -

Hoping you find your answer,

cheers,

Pete

7. flip218

Stuwie,

First answer these questions...
    1) What do you mean you re-partition? Does this mean a clean install? (sorry never done a re-partition)

2) Yes, you do have to open your PC to make sure or to change your burner to master.

3) Can you burn anything? At least data disks?

8. stuwie

stuwie Member

Thanks all for the coments. The partition is the hard drive. in DOS its called a partition becuase it can be separated into different sections based on how many op systems/ memory etc you want to use. So its a clean start. And yes through easy cd creator I can burn with the TDK viedo, music and data (DVD-R). I have removed cd creator and the program still will not burn! Now Drive select will not even open. My system is as it was before the incident and everything is perfect except this Platinum Iam lost for words on this matter.

9. flip218

stuwie,

What version of Platinum are you using?

10. stuwie

stuwie Member

Hey flip : 5.1.
    man this program is really screwed up.I cannot figure it out. Everything and I mean everything I try or put on this system works and checks out ok but Platinum. P.S: In the settings window it sees the TDK DRIVE/BURNER but as I stated the disc select does not reconize the drive and when I look into the advance recording window it opens with the TITILES bottom 1st instead of showing the movie title the scroll down to view the rest of the title selections

11. flip218

stuwie,

5.1 ?? Are you using DVDXCopy Platinum?

12. stuwie

stuwie Member

Sorry about that Flip had to go to work. Anyway a typeo 3.1 ver.
    I saw some of your work on another forum ( 4.0 ver download as well as other helpful hints. chilly. anyway still no luck I may try the aspi drivers route.

As far as the master / slave bit I have used this configration for 4 months unless that virus/ etc had some way of changing it since it was installed it should still be the same. I may have to give up on platinum and try something else. I also dowloaded shrink and decyrpter just incase.
    Peace

13. flip218

stuwie,

The aspi layer wouldn't hurt. Which tdk burner do you have? Is the firmware up to date?

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

stuwie,

The ASPI layer allows your PC software to better speak with your drives. You should install one -

This will tell you about it and has a link to Adaptec for the most up-to-day- ASPI layer -

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

You need to download the newest firmware upgrade for your burner too -

A firmware upgrade teaches your burner more about discs to write to and about more programs using it to write - Kind of like a private tutor

http://www.tdk.com/burners_peripherals/index.html

Go to "Jump to a Products" at the bottom of the page, pick your burner - Click The "Support" Button where it says [b"]FAQ's and Firmware[/b]" - about 1/2 of the way down the next page you'll find your firmware -

Cheers,

Pete

15. stuwie

stuwie Member

TO: THE 2 KINGS OF THE FORUM FILP@PETE:
    Thanks I took a page from both of you and installed Shrink and Decoder and BOOOOM... You 2 were right on in the last 4 hrs I have whent from install to 3 burns all fine.
    One question about the compression? will DEEP Analysis in Shrink, help smooth out the minor frames as the disc is playing? ( Platinum also did this on a large DVD ) so i can except a bit of it
    THANKS AGIAN: PEACE TILL THE DAWN

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

We're glad to hear you're nothing but a burning maniac -

Way to go !!

Yes Deep Analysis will give you a much-improved finished product – It just takes a little longer but, in my opinion, it’s really worth it –

Ohhh, and BTW -
    It’s people like you who make this site work too - You've seen how we work and you see we have fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - they'll appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you can “Welcome” them into the Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're not having problems to solve -

You'll find us over there, by the water cooler, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be looking for you -

Cheers,

Pete