1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play Xvids on Divx DvD Player

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by CrisCr0ss, Mar 18, 2005.

1. CrisCr0ss

CrisCr0ss Member

I have on my computer an Xvid, and all neccesary codecs are installed. However when done burning these .avi files and attempting to play them on my Philips DVP 642 DivX player it doesn't work.

Like the audio is perfect but the picture is a bunch of boxes with colours all over the place, not a solid picture.

Anyidea as to how i should go about trying to play these xvids?

Im thinking of using Dr.Divx to re-encode them into divx and burn them however encoding on my p3 1ghz seems to take ages and I simply hate converting medai since it also takes forever.

If their is a simple way please tell me, and if the only way to play these on my dvd player is by converting then i guess i have no choice. But is there by anychance a program that can tell me what filters/codecs are being used in this app so that i can understand what my Divx player can and cannot play.

Thanks in advance

2. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Problem is most likely a custom quant matrix, which is perfectly within ASP MPEG4 specs, so you can hardly blame XviD... Just that ESS based players sometimes have issues with custom quants.

If you select the DXN home theatre profile in XviD, then just like DivX it locks you to h.263.

Also seem to recall reading something about pressing the system button or something and it will play ok.

4. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

At the moment there are no players that support GMC or QP, Packed Bitstream or by and large most of the advanced features of the latest XVID codec. trying to create file without using Microsoft MPEG4 features would be sensible although by no means a guarantee of success.

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

When making MPEG4 AVIs using XviD, there are a number of codec settings to configure.
    If required to playback on standalone (DivX-capable) player, the XviD should be appropriately configured for compatability!
    There is (as I suspected) much discussion of this matter :^)
    For example, this is informative:
    http://www.gromkov.com/faq/conversion/xvid_options.html
    As a matter of fact, I have had it with DivX and their 1GB+ secret hidden-file in my Windows\system32 directory ;^(
    I am using XviD now exclusively - very good results, and fast too.
    L8R

6. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

Im a big fan of XVID also. However i'm going to play devils advocate here, have you checked out DivX Fusion, i would be surprised if it was standalone compatible but in terms of functionality and sheer quality (unsure of compression strength yet) it rivals XVID.

http://labs.divx.com/

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005