1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playback freezes

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by dhart0717, Dec 24, 2004.

1. dhart0717

dhart0717 Member

i use dvd shrink and it works well but i watch the movie and it freezes on most of the copies, not all but most( it will freeze for a second or two then resume) sometimes it just stays frozen is there something im doing wrong?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

How do those backups play on your pc? what brand and format of media are you using?How fast are you burning? What model and # is your burner?Usually a highquality media will solve this problem.Those problems you have having are typical media issues. Happy Holidays

3. dhart0717

dhart0717 Member

ty im using phillipsdvd-r discs and i burn at 4x some freeze some dont also its a pioneer dual layer burner ty

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello and merry christmas dhart, The phillips -4 dvd is definitely the problem. Here is a close site that gives you some info on the quality of different brands of blank dvd media. http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm Here is a site for finding those codes on your blank media. http://dvdinfopro.com Try a small pack of maxell's and if your pioneer burns both formats,try a small pack in both formats. Your players are telling you there is something wrong with the disc,but not major.If you can't get any maxell's,try sony,fuji or tdk. Season's greatings

5. clifjcb

clifjcb Member

Here’s a bit of a puzzler for you. My brother has two DVD players. One is a Panasonic (forget the model number but it’s about a year old) that is suppose to play DVD-R’s and a Toshiba SD-3960 he just bought which is suppose to play DVD-R’s as well. The Toshiba has good reviews even in here about it’s ability to play even DVD+R’s even though it is not in it’s spec’s and both will play pre-recorded material with out any problems.
    Problem is that no matter what burned DVD disks we test on either of these units they will either freeze for a second or two every few minutes or on the Panasonic, just lock or not play at all.

A little background on equipment used to author the DVD’s.
    I have a Sony DRU-530A burner (Firmware 2.c). I use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink to author the disk and burn with Roxio DVD Creator 6 (only have the disc copier and classic installed from it).
    Media I have used thus far is Fuji DVD-R and +R (4x & 8x), Memorex DVD-R (4x & 8X) and +R (4x), Imation DVD-R (4x) and +R (4x), GQ DVD-R (4x).

I have three stand alone players myself. An old Toshiba SD-2200 which is not suppose to support any burned DVD-R or CD-R format, however it plays any –R media I throw at using the authoring software I mentioned above. It will not handle any +R though. I have a Samsung DVD P-231 that plays everything under the sun and a Sony Play station, which seems to play everything as well. Also I have a few friends I have tested these disks on without a hitch as well.

When using DVD Decrypter I do use the Region free setting and have not messed with that setting yet since if there was a problem with region codes I would expect an error on the player as to that fact.

So the question is, am I missing something and just doing something wrong or is there a problem with the Panasonic and Toshiba decks my brother has and I'm more concerned with the Toshiba then the Panasonic right now.

Any suggestions or first hand info would be appreciated.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello clif, the fuji's may be ok,but the others I have no Idea, did you download the dvdinfopro link in my earlier post. you can get the codes for all those different media.

The standalones can be tricky,the main thing is they are playing. It usually doesn't matter what kind of specs are listed on it, I just proved one stand alone the other day when HE/she was converting dvx into dvd.

When it comes to dvd burning,files are files,so I have heard. If the backups play ok on the driver that burned them on your pc,and doing any of those symptoms in stand alone players,usually media is the problem. Poor media has to be burned slower,especially on freezing and jumping.

Now if you are watching that backup on the pc and it still does that,then you have a software issue.

When you get a no disc present on your stand alones,that player/s did not like that burn.It could be media or a weak burner, Every laser in burners and players have a little variation. Whether you keep them clean, update firmwares,or something else.

Those stand alones were meant to play the Pressed In ,original dvd format. No burn is on these original discs.

I leave all my backups on "region free", therefore they should be viewed from anywhere in the world, Should be.

Roxio is not recommended to be used with shrink and decrypter. I use nero and I know roxio and nero don't get along. Roxio likes to take over the process.

I only use:
    Dvd shrink to my hard drive,then let nero do the burning for me.I usually do main movie only.

I had another burner that no matter what I did on those backups,media and burnspeed wise, that 1 player would not play it,no disc inserted. I could take that pc backup,reburn it on my tv stand alone burner and then those movies would work. Same media,same burnspeed,different burner.I couldn't see taking a chance on the firmware update even though there wasn't one,just to play on 1 single stand alone.

Definitely try a media switch and slow down your burn.If your fuji's were made in Japan,then they should be all right,maybe just slow it down.

Good luck and Happy Holidays

7. clifjcb

clifjcb Member

Saugmon
    Good thought about the burn speed. It still makes me wonder though why all my standalone players play these disks (as described above) without a glitch no matter what speed I burn at.

I will run the disk through dvdinfopro to see what errors may exist and then try slowing downthe burn speed. If there is still a problem I'll try Nero again. Only problem with Nero was with my ATI 8500 DV All in Wonder card and the Codecs. Nero overwrites Codecs used by ATI TV tuner, which kills the program, then you have to hack the registry to correct the file, basically a pain in the butt. But I have Ghost now so I’ll back it up before ripping Roxio out and installing Nero again if I need to go that far.

Thanks for the info and Happy Holidays to you too.
    Regards,

8. clifjcb

clifjcb Member

Just an update but I ran dvdinfopro on two of the disks my brothers players were having problems with and all the checks came back clean (zero errors). Tested the drive speed and it tested clean as well. So the only other possibilities would be Media type, Record speed and maybe going to Nero. I am going to post a new thread to see if anyone else has something else to offer.

9. clifjcb

clifjcb Member

Just an FYI update to my situation, it seems slowing down the recording speed to 2x made the difference with my brother’s decks.

(Saugmon, thanks for the speed tip)

The brand of media does not seem to be an issue in my case since I have several different brands (See above post)some of which were on the dreaded “Do not Buy” list of several of the forum members here. This included Fuji’s G04 make in Taiwan and Memorex CMC style disks in both plus and minus formats, 4x and 8x.

While the Panasonic would not play the plus disk’s the Toshiba will now play both formats even though it claims only to play minus formats. As far as the Panasonic playing +R disks it is also is not suppose to but this is where a higher grade of +R might make the difference.
    I did spend some time at BestBuy the other day prior to testing the disks recorded at the slower speed. I tried looking for DVD’s manufactured in Japan and quite honestly all but one of the Sony’s was made in Taiwan. While they did not have Maxell there I noticed that even the higher dollar Verbatim were made in Taiwan including their more expensive Data Guard disks with Metal Azo coating are showing to be make there.
    This is not to say that there is not a difference in Media manufacturing but thus far I have not had a problem myself with media brands or where they are made. The only coasters I have made thus far been my own screwing around or the occasional problems with power outages both of which are far and few between and so far not due to the media used.
    Saugmon, thanks again for the info.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey clif, no problemo. On those verbatims you saw at the store made in taiwan, The digital movie +4x's,"the discs with a film spool picture" are made in taiwan,but are working great. However,I can still tell a difference on certain stand alones compared with the verb +8x's,made in japan.

Quality media is a must,Here's a list of some of the things the higher quality media helps out with.

Longevity, word around here is they last longer while the cheapie crap are breaking down,some in less than 6 months.

Higher compatability in stand alones,even the ones that list those players as not playing +,-, or both. I have proved quite a few people here who said their player specs tell them they can't play recordable formats,only original dvd "pressed in" disc format.

Fewer burn errors

Higher burn speed: With high quality media and quality burner and firmware updates,I am getting 12x and 16x out of some of my +8x media,with no issues so far.

Even re-recording off those backups when needed.I am just finding this out,but seems to help on people who back up their movie on high quality media and their original gets damaged. The cheaper media will not let some of them re-rip.This again is compatability and breakdown.

There's probably a whole bunch of other stuff I have yet to discover on poor media.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Happy New Year to all members of AD!

11. clifjcb

clifjcb Member

Guess I will have to look around but all the verbatims I saw at BestBuy, and they had a bit of a selection of them, were all made in Taiwan. I'll check Fry's next time I'm there.