1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playback problem with converted divx to dvd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by TheDude55, Nov 15, 2004.

1. TheDude55

TheDude55 Member

Hey guys I'm having a problem that I'm not sure how to go about fixing.
    I converted a movie
    (VIDEO - 624x336, 23.98, 883 kbps, 0.18 b/px, Xvid MPEG-4, AUDIO - 2 channels, 48000 Hz, 150 kbps, MPEG-1 Layer 3)

into DVD format using WinAVI video converter (enabled directAC3, auto source frame rate, NTSC, 720x480, auto target scale)

then burnt the VIDEO_TS file onto a DVD-R using InstantCopy(I use this program with DVD decrypter to make disc to disc copies and everything is perfect)

Now, when I play the finished DVD-R it plays perfect for about 10 seconds, then the audio starts to skip which also causes the video to skip. If I fast forward or rewind the video for any length of time it goes back to playing perfect for another 10 seconds then messes up again.
    This has happened for both 2 hour movies I've tried. I did get one to work tho, which was just a short 20 min movie on Mario Lemieux. I did everything the same for the other 2 movies but they both had the problem mentioned above. I have a Toshiba SD2710 DVd player which supports DVD-R playback.

If anyone has any ideas or knowledge on this problem can you PLEASE help me out. I'm dying here cause I don't know how to fix it. If you need anymore information on the movie file or the programs I'm using just let me know. Help would be much appreciated as there is someone else on this board having the same problem as well.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Your source AVI has MP3 audio, probably VBR MP3.
    You say your WinAVI video converter has enabled directAC3. Is it then trying to import the audio and encode it to AC3 2.0 ?
    That would be great I s'pose, if it works, but it is somewhat over-complicated... and, it doesn't seem to be working!
    I am not familiar with your WinAVI converter, but it seems to me you should avoid the AC3 audio conversion if possible.
    Some DivX AVIs contain AC3 audio, but yours has the traditional MP3.
    You should try to convert it in LPCM format (uncompressed, like a WAV file) but be aware, the audio itself can be 1000-1500MB.
    This leaves less space for video, but is infinitely more compatible for DVD playback.
    Difficult to be more specific, but I believe this is the source of your pain :)
    Check out the WinAVI audio options and capabilities closely, keeping in mind what I have described.
    Hope this helps,
    Regards

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wrong forum. Thread moved.

4. TheDude55

TheDude55 Member

Where was it moved to?? I really wanna talk to The_OGS, cause he knows what he's talking about. If you get this man, I looked at the WinAVI program but there's no audio options available, nothing to tweak. I'm thinking I should try a different program. Any ideas what I should try. I've been trying for 2 months now to figure out how to convert these videos so they will play on my dvd player and still haven't got a full movie to work. Do u have AIM or MSN at all?? Hopefully you can get back to me man. I appreciate everything u can help me with.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You're posting to it :)

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

We're here - this is now gonna be one of the busiest forums...
    (The other is only for [bold]encoding[/bold] video with DivX)
    To review:
    Your Toshiba is choking on the converted audio, from an AVI using VBR MP3.
    I would use VirtualDub or its derivatives (VDubMod, NanDub) to 'demux' or strip a copy of the audio from your AVI.
    Then, I would use CDex to to decompress the audio to WAV file.
    At this point, I would try to turn the converter on to the AVI video and the WAV audio, but it may not like that! You may have to mux the AVI with the WAV audio again, or whatever you need to do to make WinAVI function.
    Anyway, there's only so much you can do...
    Perhaps it is mostly a playback problem for your Toshiba DVD.
    If everything you do plays okay, except maybe one movie has this weird audio problem, then something about that audio is different or NFG.
    But it may be simpler than that...
    Try using reputable brand-name media, and burn at 4x maximum (or even 2x) to ensure a real good burn, with very low errors, that your Toshiba can read.
    Bottom line is: who knows what quality your source AVI is. How is it interleaved?
    An improper interleave might playback fine from harddisk, but will jump & stutter when played from burned CD.
    I can convert AVI to compliant DVD, using Nero (NeroVision Express). Then Nero will, of course, burn the DVD.
    Who knows, maybe this will work better for you?
    There are all kinds of people wanting to do this for free... there is TMPGEnc, DVDSanta, DVD2SVCD + QuEnc, and your WinAVI, but they are not free or they don't work.
    I think Nero works best, but it will cost you $25 bucks to find out.
    Get yourself the latest Nero download, and then unlock the Nero MPEG2 (DVD) codec within NeroVision Express.
    They will give you a serial # by email, and the whole thing takes only about 5 minutes to accomplish :)
    You can now author compliant DVDs, legally and in perpetuity...
    (Best $25 bucks I ever spent.)
    Anyway Dude, you are not alone, most people having troubles with this - and at this point I have run out of advice. Good luck,
    L8R

7. TheDude55

TheDude55 Member

Ok man, I'm gonna get Nero and then we will talk again. Once i get Nero, is it pretty self explainatory or is there some stuff u should guide me through?

thanks again for all ur help