1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playback problems on netbook

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by supafly1, Mar 14, 2011.

1. supafly1

supafly1 Member

Hello, I got a Samsung N220P netbook (Atom N450 1,6Ghz, 1GB ram and intel gpu 3150) and I'm running Windows XP. I have this problems with most media players that they tend to stutter for a second at totally random times. It's not like the video just stops for a second but it kinda jumps forward. I have tried VLC (this one is most troublesome), Windows Media Player, MPCHC with CCCP pack and also with K-lite. I have also tried The KMPlayer which doesn't stutter as often as the other players.

First I thought it was because of the codecs but that doesn't seem to be the case since I know about the problems of having too many codecs can cause playback issues so I have taken precaution in that part by always deleting codecs before installing new ones.

The cause of the problem might be in the system. I have used the latest video card drivers and also older ones but the problem persists.

Could CPU drivers cause problems of this kind?

Thanks in advance.

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

latest version of vlc is rubbish.. try a few releases back.. also a lot of netbooks really don't do fullscreen video well.. the problem is usually in the lack of real graphics memory.. they use shared..

the stutter is probably to do with video caching.. you can alter that with vlc but I have no idea with any of the others or even if it will have any effect.. the other thing is.. you may just have too many process running.. windoze is very bad for this.. especially antivirus things constantly looking online for updates..

3. supafly1

supafly1 Member

There shouldn't be any problem with playing in fullscreen since the CPU doesn't even go above 30% when playing movies. I have tried older VLC versions too. But in windowed mode, it seems that the stuttering stops, it only happens in fullscreen mode.