1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playback problems on one player but not the other

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by snoochie, Feb 5, 2007.

1. snoochie

snoochie Member

My dvd drive is HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N. I have been backing up my movies for about two years now, ~one year with this drive. With all the dummy proof programs and afterdawn threads available, I have never had any problems until now. In "DMA if available" and autoplay disabled. All updates applied, no viruses or malware. Usually at 4-8X write speed. The computer is not slow, nor is the burning process. No errors appear during any step. I am making full disc back-ups of my Lost Season 2 set. The backup will play on one dvd player, but will not even load on the other (an upconverter), and it will play in the PC. I have also made backups of my Open Season, Saw III and other discs with no problems, plays fine on all players and PC. I know that I should not have any problems with these discs, so I exchanged the box set and I am still having the same issue. I have used multiple processes.
    1) Anydvd in background, DVD Shrink (both ISO and ISO burn with decrypter), DVD decrypter.
    2) Anydvd, DVD Shrink (ISO), then ImgBurn.
    3) RipIt4Me with FixVTS (AnyDVD and autoplay disabled and opened program before insert disc), DVD Shrink (both ISO and ISO burn with DVD decrypter), DVD decrypter.
    4) RipIt4Me with FixVTS (AnyDVD and autoplay disabled and opened program before insert disc), DVD Shrink (ISO), ImgBurn
    5) DVD Fab Decrypter to VIDEO_TS folder, FixVTS (full dvd), DVD Shrink (both ISO and burn with decrypter), DVD decrypter
    6) DVD Fab Decrypter to VIDEO_TS folder, FixVTS (full dvd), DVD Shrink (ISO), ImgBurn

I am at a loss. I would appreciate any help you can provide. And thanks in advance to those of you who wrote the great guides. Off to work. Cheers!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What's the brand name,format,and speed rating of your blank media?

What's the exact issue-error message? Dirty disc,no disc,etc?

It sounds like a compatability issue.That player may not like that blank media that you are using.

You've got an LG drive.Get some quality plus format media if you haven't gotten any. These LG drives booktype.Not sure if you need a special utility,but both dvd decrypter and ImgBurn have a setting on them to change the plus format to dvd-rom. This booktyping fools picky stand alone players into recognizing our backups.Only the plus format can be booktyped- +R/+RW/and +R DL.Only the plus format can be set to be booktyped. After booktyping,you'll have a higher compatability rate as apposed to the dash and the regular plus format.

It's very easy to change.

Open up dvd decrypter,click Mode/ISO/Write. Look to the right of burn settings for a small book icon. Click on it and you'll see tabs for several drives. Click on the LG tab. On CHANGE FOR-select DVD+R. Under that is current setting-ignore it for now. Under current setting,you'll see NEW SETTING- Select DVD-ROM/Change/and a success window should pop up. OK that and click the OK button on the bottom corner. Then open up again and check to see if the CURRENT SETTING says DVD-ROM.

Same exact process for ImgBurn.Open up ImgBurn and look for the small book icon on lower right corner.

Set both up if you're using +R media. If Switching to +RW or +RDL,you'll have to swich them for that certain format..

Now after you set that drive to booktype,use this free program and it'll tell you if those backups are booktyped to dvd-rom:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

After booktyping,those: No disc,Dirty disc,Wrong format,Wrong region error codes that stand alone players show, should go away.

If this don't help,stand alone players can still have issues with certain burn programs and certain MID coded media.Even a dirty laser lens can be the culprit.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  3. snoochie

snoochie Member

I am using Sony DVD+R Ver. 1.3/1X-16X and Sony DVD+RW Ver. 1.2/1X-4X. I usually burn to DVD+R but have been using the DVD+RW to check my Lost Season 2 discs so I don’t waste media. I use the same Sony discs for all backups. From the current batch of discs, I have made backups with all the fore mentioned methods that play on both dvd players, just cannot do it with Lost Season 2.

There is never an error message, the display on the dvd player just shows --:--:--.

Neither the original nor the DVD+R (or DVD+RW) disc have scratches or marks of any kind. All the programs seem as though they perform properly. The final ISO image file is ~4.6GB. The backup copy disc will work on one player perfectly, but not the other.

Using the same method, I can copy and burn non-episodic dvds that will play on both players. I have also made backups of my Lost Season 1 and Buffy Season 6, and they work fine on both dvd players. The discs of Lost Season 2 are the only discs that are doing this. I have not tried to repeat backup of any episodic dvds that work on both players. I will try that as well.

On the booktyping issue...tried with dvd decrypter and ImgBurn, same on both

My HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N will not change to DVD-ROM. When I click on LG, then CHANGE FOR, the current setting says "unknown (failed!)." My LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S FS0K will let me change to DVD-ROM. The burn proceeds normally, however, dvd will still not play on both.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

those Sony disks are fine and you should have no problem with your copy of Lost season 2 to play in both DVD players. Saugmon is correct about the booktyping and this, too, should have fixed your problem. read this about booktyping: http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

Your HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N should be able to set the booktyping to DVD-ROMs. Remember you can only booktype your +R(W) media only! -R media won't be booktyped. If you are getting successful burns and they usually play with all your players and now you are not able to play this one copy of an episode DVD then it usually is a media problem. But since you claim to only use Sony DVD+R(W) media and have always been successful before this and they always played in all your players then something is wrong here. Why would it only be one DVD that can't play in that one player? and you claim to NOT change media! Usually player compatibility is due to the media used and not burning at the correct speed, or burning too close to the outer edge of the media that it won't be recognized. Are you sure you are using Sony media as claimed? I just don't like the "it worked before and now it doesn't and this is the only time it doesn't" issue! Sounds funny to me.

And one more thing..... I wouldn't use AnyDVD and RipIt4Me together! I heard that it causes problems with RipIt4Me. RI4M should work with all the DVDs out there..... without AnyDVD running.

5. snoochie

snoochie Member

IHoe

I went to the link for booktyping and downloaded dvdbitsetter. When I open and run, it gives the following warning

"Unable to determine drive settings! You have either selected the wrong drive or a incompatible one (Sony drives) or you are using a 1st generation drives (DVD+RW only). These drives are incapable of returning current settings, ignore this error message."

I disable Anydvd when I am using RipIt4Me by right clicking on the icon in the toolbar, plus after that when I open the program and it prompts me that Anydvd is still on. I don’t know why it still recognizes it, but I click yes to disable anyway.

I am positive about the Sony media. Never change media, never had to.

Last night I repeated a previous dvd rip and burn (used RipIt4Me, FixVTS, Shrink then DVD Decrypter), worked perfectly. I also repeated an episodic dvd rip and burn (same method). Did not touch the computer at all while it was performing. When I tried the disc this morning, I am having the same problem. Plays on PC, one player but not the other. So the problem is presenting with episodic dvds only.

Might there be some settings that are integral for the backing-up of these types of discs that I could have unknowingly changed in my computer or the programs listed above?

I am debating the following,
    1) uninstall all programs listed above as well as the drives, restart computer, reinstall and let computer recognize the drives. I have performed both in the past week, with no luck, but could try again.

Any other programs you suggest to do the same with?

2) System restore, tried, but maybe I could go back further.

If I restore to born-on-date, after backing up my files of course, would the system be "like new"?

3)Last resort, backup my files and reformat.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

your problem is not the software that you are using or the drives themselves.... for some reason your Sony DVDs are not being recognized on that on player after you record episodes on them..... why I do not know. This is a very strange problem why recorded movies DVDs work but not episode DVDs! LIke I said I never heard of such a thing...... I have plenty of episode DVDs and all of them play on all players. I bet you mine would play on yours! So there can only be one other reason......LOST Season 2.... has to have something on it that is preventing viewing on that one player...... why don't you try another copy of the same disk! And does the original disk play in that player?

7. snoochie

snoochie Member

I have tried two copies of the same disc already.

It is not just Lost Season 2 now.

I had made backups of different episodic discs before with no playback problems. So, last night I repeated the backup, edit and burn process with one that I knew to be successful.

This backup now presents the same issue. It will playback on the PC and one player, but not the other. The original discs (Lost Season 2 and Buffy Season 6) load and play with no problems in the problematic player, PC and other dvd player, as well as the first backup I made a month or so ago (Buffy Season 6).

Since all the backup programs produce the same result, might there be a program that interferes with them all?

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

if your backups play in your DVD players except your problematic player.... guess what...... might it be your player!!!???? that's more than a possibility! try blowing canned air inside the player.... could be a dirty lens or something like that! I just can't believe that DVDs that once played are now not playing unless you are doing something wrong! and according to you:
    1. you're burning your usual way that has always worked.
    2. you're burning to the same media that you always had success with.
    3. it always worked that way and you shouldn't have any play back problems ... but now you do!

what makes this time different than the last time? It's not the software, or the DVD itself...... the only other item is the player! Maybe it's time to replace? Players are so cheap now.... I suggest this one.... it plays everything and I liked it so much I bought it:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1138083263924
    $134.99 onsale now! not bad.... I bought this last year for $150.00!

9. snoochie

snoochie Member

My player is only 4 months old. A Panasonic, HDMI, multi-format playback, model DVD-S52.

I used a fairly brand new laser lens cleaner two days ago.

All dvds that were burned over a week or so ago will play, even the episodic dvds. Having no problem there. Just with episodic discs now, even ones that were successful burns before, and the successful backup still works, just not the new backup.

Thanks for the help. I am aggravated as well with my computer and myself. I will see what I can do.

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I'm sorry you're aggravated over this.... I know how frustrating computer problems can be! We all go through this.... and I bet there is a simple easy solution to this, but, I'm sorry I couldn't help you out. I wish you luck in resolving this. Let me know what you find out and if you corrected this problem.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  11. camaro24

camaro24 Member

Sorry but i'm not seeing a setting on dvd decrypter to change the book type to dvd rom. Sorry im very new at this.

12. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@camaro24....... you should start a new thread to ask your question .... since this thread was to help out snoochie...... but here ya go:

[​IMG]

13. kaching03

kaching03 Member

I just found your message and noted that you have the same burner that I am using. I just purchased it 2 weeks ago and I'm getting ready to try to burn movies on it. Just wondering if you have ever had any problems with it and how hard is it to get firmware updates? I've emailed Emachines because I did not find any firmware updates on their site, and I can't find any on the net either. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

14. snoochie

snoochie Member

Thanks to all of you for helping. I took the dvd player in for service, they replaced the motor, got it home, still same problem. Yesterday I returned the Panasonic and bought a Sony dvp-NS75H upconverting dvd player. No problems with any disc so far, even the ones that did not play on the other player. So I am going with "It was the dvd player" after all. Just did not think that would be it since it was only 4 months old, thanks IHoe. Hopefully I do not ever have this problem again.

kaching03
    The drive has been great. Had it for 8 months. Here is the link to the only update I know. http://support.us.dell.com/support/...eid=R130555&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=173948
    Cheers!

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

When it comes to reading dvd backups,nothing is guaranteed for stand alone players.Some of them are picky. Favoring a certain format from a particular burner,even favoring a certain MID code of blank media. There's so many things these standalones can pick out.

That's why booktyping is a huge asset,to help stand alone player combatibility.

snootchie: Did you ever get those plus format backups booktyped?

16. snoochie

snoochie Member

Neither DVD decryptor nor ImgBurn would let me booktype on the HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N. Been kinda busy lately.

17. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@snookie........ your drive is a rebadged LG...... so in DVDDecrypter you would do this:
    [​IMG]
    1. set your source drive to your burner and follow the procedure in older post above to get to change booktyping for your drive.
    2. select the LG tab
    3. change for drive DVD+R media
    4. New Setting set to DVD-ROM
    AND THIS SHOULD SET YOUR BURNER TO BOOKTYPING ALL YOUR +R MEDIA TO DVD-ROMs. Do the same procedure for DVD+RW media! and you're good to go! ♠

18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Are you using the plus format media?

When going through dvd decrypter or imgburn:If your drive isn't capable of booktyping,when trying to set the current setting to dvd+r,the change for will say failed and new setting will be grayed out.

19. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@Saugmon...... snoochie's drive is a rebadged LG and should be able to booktype as shown above in the illustration.

20. snoochie

snoochie Member

As you see below, I do not believe I will be able to booktype my drive. This is my first time showing an image, so if I mess it up, I will try again.

[​IMG]