1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playback problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rebus20, Jan 18, 2007.

1. rebus20

rebus20 Member

I have a dell comp that came with a dvd burner. It seems every movie I burn using decrypter and shrink always has playback issues. Every movie I have made plays fine until close to the end than the picture and sound starts breaking up. I have tried different dvd brands and upgraded my ram to 768mbs and that hasnt helped any. I always turn off the screen saver and all nonessential programs. What can be causing these problems?

2. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

Try ripping w/ DVDDecrypter w/ ANY DVD (free trial from Slysoft}
    Running on toolbar.
    Try burning w/ CloneDVD2 {free trial from Slysoft}
    See if your problem is solved.

3. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

You can also try burning slower. I like 2x on 8x media and 4x on 16x media

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Are these playback issues from a stand alone player or while playing them back in your pc?

You want to make sure that the burner that made that backup,can play that backup-with your pc. It should look near original in quality. After that,comes the stand alone players. Some of them can have a harder time reading our backup copies.

Usual culprits:

1)- Low quality media-get some quality ty or verbatim
    2) Burned too fast-keep at half the rated speed: 16x media-burn at 8x. 8x media,burn at 4x. Low quality media usually needs a slower burn.
    3) Burning the outer edge of disc: Reduce backup target. The low quality media can contain uneven dye,and playback issues at the end of your backups. Reduce it using dvd shrink:
    Open up dvd shrink/Edit/preference/click-scroll from dvd-5 until you get to custom/enter 4300 mbs to the right of that/ok. If using high quality media,take her back up to 4360-4370 mbs.

4) Compression: Keep compression to a minimum

5) Burn engine- try another program like IMGburn,Nero,or copytodvd.

6) Paper/sticker labels: Big no-no. Can cause heat build-up,imbalanced,and can flake off in your drives.

7) Fragmented harddrive/s: Keep them defragged regularly.

8) Dirty laser lens-on the drive that shows those issues,once all the above have been ruled out.

9) Multi-tasking: Keep all background programs shut down.

10) Burner: You may need a firmware update or some burners out there's also some crappy drives out there- "HP" LOL.

Stand alone players-which is where most playback issues occur: When you get a no disc error/pixellation/freezing/skipping/jumping- the player is telling you something's wrong with that backup.They can have a problem with any of those culprits.We call these Picky Players.
    Verify those backups in other drives and see if they show the same problem. Make sure you burner plays it ok.

Culprits # 1/2/3/6/and 8 are the most likely candidates.

What's the brand name,format,and speed rate of your blank media?The MID codes would be helpful.

How fast did you burn them?

Using dvd decrypter as the burn engine?

Are these regular dvds you are backing up or mpeg,avi,etc that you are transfering to dvd?

What's the brand name,model#,and firmware version of your burner?

Use this free program to tell us that info:

Are you using paper/sticker labels?

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

5. rebus20

rebus20 Member

Its a nec burner. I have been using the cheaper media. I have some ativas, office depot brand, phillips and magnovox. All do it. I am burning at the slowest speed of decrypter, 1x I think.
    As for 3, it was still on the stock 4464 so I changed it to 4300 like suggested. No labels, making back ups of regular dvds and using decrypter to burn.
    Everything else you listed should be okay. I downloaded a trail of nero and will pick up some better quality dvds and give that a try.