1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Players Shut Down When Playing AVI Files

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by xdeaconx, Apr 19, 2004.

1. xdeaconx

xdeaconx Member

I feel like a similar problem has been brought up before, but I haven't found any answers that solve the issue in my case. I have a few AVI movie files that will play for only a few seconds - maybe 15 or 20 - and then a Windows error box pops up and says the player needs to shut down and would I like to send the error report to Microsoft. There's nothing unique about the error report from what I can see, (00000005, is the error number I think). So I haven't found any help in that regard. And it happens with any player I use (DIVX, WMP, RealPlayer). But it's with only a few files that this happens. I've used GSpot and it says I have the proper codecs to play the file and that the file is not corrupt. I've tried DivFix to no avail. And I've uninstalled all my codecs and reinstalled them following this forum's suggestions and the problem still persists. The really bizarre thing is that one of the files used to play perfectly fine before, but now falls under the same problem for whatever reason while other AVI/DIVX files I have play fine all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Some errors like Divide By Zero, cannot be fixed via DivFix/AVIFixed and those portions must be cut out or in some cases, you can brute-force reencode them. Is this problem only occuring with one specific movie or ALL of them?

3. xdeaconx

xdeaconx Member

Well I've tried fast-forwarding through the movies to see if it's just one specific area that's corrupted, but the same thing happens (plays for a few seconds then shuts down). And this doesn't happen with all of my videos, just a few (my other video files play fine). I've noticed they say AC3 in the file name sometimes, so I don't know if there's some sort of specific codec to go with that that I'm missing? I did download and install all of the codecs recommended by the forum. But, as I mentioned before, one of the files used to play on my computer just fine but now won't. So I don't know if I mistakenly uninstalled something that I needed.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member