1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playing 1080p h.264 mkv w/ ATI AVIVO

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by davebs, Jul 5, 2007.

1. davebs

davebs Member

I recently got a 24" monitor that can do 1080p, but mkv files w/ h264 video (720p up to 1080p) all run slow on my computer. The audio doesn't sync up w/ the video, etc. I have a P4 3.0ghz cpu, and I was thinking of upgrading to a core 2 duo e6600, but then I remembered I have a video card that has AVIVO which supposedly does h264 hardware decoding. Problem is, MPC, VLC, etc. don't support hardware decoding (as far as I can find) and nero showtime and cyberlink power dvd (which support h264 decoding through avivo) don't support .mkv containers. And I'd rather not use coreavc. Does anyone have any ideas of how I might get these mkv files playing smoothly with my setup?

2. Apex07

Apex07 Member

I'm having the same problem as you man. I also have a P4 3.0 CPU with an ATI 2600XT. My CPU usage is at around 90%. I have tried renaming the .mkv to various file types and nothing has helped. I've been thinking of converting the .mkv to a different container such as .h264 so that PowerDVD will be able to play the file through AVIVO. Although I'm not sure if that would work or not, any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

3. davebs

davebs Member

I ended up upgrading my computer to a core 2 duo e6750 w/ 2 gigs ram and a radeon x1950 pro. Now I can watch a 720p movie with firefox while running newsleecher at 2megs a second. No skipping or syncing issues. My suggestion would be to upgrade as that worked for me and hi def compressed video takes a lot of cpu power.