1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing 3:4 DVDs on widescreen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bellfunk, Aug 9, 2006.

1. bellfunk

bellfunk Member

Hi,

This question falls between the Displays forum and the DVD players forum, so sorry if it looks a little off topic

I have a 50" Sony LCD projection HDTV and an upconverting LG 531 DVD player. The DVD is connected to the TV with HDMI cable.

I have a few DVDs which are 3:4 (full screen) like old TV shows. The problem is that the TV stretches the video to a 16:9 ratio to fill the screen so everything looked squashed. Is there's any solution for that?

Thx.

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Can your LCD do pillarboxing? The drawback will be black bars at the sides of your picture. If you don't want that then maybe Ced has some suggestions.

3. bellfunk

bellfunk Member

I have the Sony KFE50A10...I don't know if it can do pillarboxing.
    I don't mind about the black bars on the side.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes your tv (and all DTVs for that matter) can do pillarboxing. Find your remote and look for a botton labled [bold]Wide[/bold] (botton #23 in your manual). Pressing that botton will allow you to change the aspect to 4:3, (1.33:1) 16:9, (1.78:1) and other aspect ratios/zooms.

Ced

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@bellfunk...Ced is right, the "wide" button will do this. It will default to "normal" with a 4:3. As you consectively push the button it will go to "wide" then to "zoom" then to "wide zoom". Going from 4:3 to wide, the pic will seem a bit odd around the center like its elongated (which it is). If the pic is of good quality, you'll find that the "zoom" and particularly the "wide zoom" all controlled by the same button are better than merely "wide". If the pic is not of a high quality though, your better off with normal or wide because the zoom feature will also exaggerate the faults.

I've got the 46" version.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006