1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing AVIs on DVD player or PS2

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by fujihead, Sep 21, 2004.

1. fujihead

fujihead Member

I've read through a LOT of guides and posts (all greatly appreciated) but i still need one thing straightened out with avi files,

i can make em from dvds fine, make vcds fine, but downloaded and somewhat compressed files i have and want to play on my dvd player/ playstation 2 just won't play. they are very small files (talking 300-600mb only) so i figure tmpgenc will take no time converting them, (read the guide for converting svi to vcd/ svcd) but none of the programs i have will recognise the avi when it comes to opening it for conversion.

so just wanted to know if i'm missing something, i also heard that playstation 2 will play avi files is that right? i am a bummy student and dvd-burner is on my 'get list' for now i'm with cd-r only :(
    i know, get with the times....cheers

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

http://www.geocities.com/x7r3m3_b0mb3r/ps2reality.html

there's even more to that than the guide up there.
    not all avi can play properly. settings of how it encoded...things like qpel, gmc etc will make it unplayable.
    i did a test, it plays, but it will get jittery. i'm not sure why totally, but it could be that its in 23.96fps, and no 3:2 pulldown tag ?