1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing Blue-Ray on regular DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by MultiCopr, Nov 25, 2007.

1. MultiCopr

MultiCopr Regular member

Thanks for the helpful reply...

I used the program FAVC to convert and yes I am burning them to Dual Layer so I don't have to shrink the file down too much and if all you realy want is the movie itself then that saves some space but not much. Just tried a test dvd of Gone in 60 Seconds and it plays flawlessly.

2. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Well you seem to have stumbled upon a breakthrough there my friend...

How on earth are you ripping BD discs to your PC without a Blu-Ray drive???

3. MultiCopr

MultiCopr Regular member

Who said I didn't have a BR drive?? I said I don't have a BR player for my TV.

4. abohirr

abohirr Member

That is why I said he'd have to download the files. I never said he'd be running a disc off his computer, but instead he would be running the file itself; off of the hard-drive. Though I wonder if it takes a high standard of minimal hardware to run such a movie?

Anyways man, just buy yourself a PS3 and kill 2 birds with one stone. The 40gig model shouldn't be too far away priced than a stand-alone Bluray player.

As for the person mentioning upscaling DVD to 1080p. You are forgetting the shear detail Blurays/HD-DVD can handle; not just the clearness of the picture. But you can see Blemishes on peoples' skin, that won't even be there on a DVD.

Side-note for people with comps. If your video-card can output with DVI, then you can use a DVI-to-HDMI cable that has one end DVI the other end HDMI to run the image on your high-definition TV/projectors/etc.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  5. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

abohirr - while that piece of advice seems practical, I can tell you from experience that my TV supports HDMI PC input, and my PC supports DVI-D output. I have the DVI to HDMI converter cable. However, the image on my TV is only about 60% of my total screen size. According to my TV's manual, this is the way it works.

Hopefully other people have better success with this method.

6. bean55

bean55 Member

bean55

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  7. TBaGZ

TBaGZ Member

Now tell me what you think of this! lol

My wife not knowing what the hell Blu Ray is rented a movie the other night and like I said not knowing what it is or the difference between it and a regular DVD grabbed the blu ray version of the movie. Brought it home and put it in our 6 year old zenith DVD player and watched her movie with NO problems except it skipped a couple times which is typical when we rent movies.

So whatcha think cause I don't get it!

8. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Wtf??

Mate that's physically impossible. There's no way it could have played, a standard DVD player doesn't have the right diode to read the disc.

That would be like putting a PSP UMD into a DVD player and playing it. It just cannot happen.

9. Speedy2

Speedy2 Guest

I think sometimes they include a regular DVD with a Blu-ray or HD movie sometimes so that is likely what was played. Either that or the wrong copy of the movie was put in a blu-ray case.

10. TBaGZ

TBaGZ Member

Well there was only one disc in the case so I dunno... I don't really know anything about the format other then it exists lol

11. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I'd love to see a video of that actually happening. Something to post on YouTube.

My understanding is that the blue-violet laser has a much shorter wavelength and reads a completely different format of disc. The protection layer is a different thickness (.1mm vs .6mm), the track pitch is different (0.32µm vs 0.74µm), the data is packed much closer together (which requires the blue laser and gives the format the higher storage capacity), the numerical aperature is different (.85 vs .60), and the video codecs are different (MPEG-4 vs MPEG-2).

I can't say it didn't happen, but I would be very surprised. Zenith may be on to something!!

12. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Only HD-DVD Combo discs come with a HD and SD disk in the box, and they are two-sided discs. Standard on one side and HD on the other.

Blockbuster only rents Blu-Ray, so that can't be the issue. I'm not sure what other brick and mortar DVD stores are renting these days. Netflix does both formats.

Wrong disc in the case is plausible... They do look very similar at first glance.

13. TBaGZ

TBaGZ Member

She rented it out of one of them video rental machines. I wish I still had it here so I could look at the disc again.

14. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I'm shocked that the video machines would have Blu-Ray, as Blockbuster only rents them out at select stores. That some expensive inventory to maintain.

Maybe the machine is intended to rip off people - they pay for a Blu-Ray and get a standard DVD. It would play in your Blu-Ray player and a standard DVD player, but the picture would be standard. Just a stupid theory!?

15. Seanux

Seanux Member

playing back blu-ray from a computer to a tv is a bitch, esp if you are using DVI at one end. HDCP gets in the way, and most TV's aren't capable of displaying a native resolution from your PC properly through a digital signal. Very annoying, unless you are willing to shell out mega bucks for one of the larger LCD monitors (read monitor, NOT tv) but even then you'll pay for shit you probably aren't after, like 8 bits per channel etc...

glad to hear you got some encoding action going on, which BD Drive you using???? I've still been way too lazy to encode the one movie I ripped to a format that I can easily playback on my television, but then again I got the PS3 40 gig so I don't feel compelled to do anything yet, keep an eye out for some xiao syndicate rips on torrents. :p

16. 3rizlas

3rizlas Member

now this is all way over my head lads so forgive my ignorance,

I remember that when mp3 files came out if you had an old cd player (even a cheap one) it would mp3 files no bother, but if you bought a new cd player it would have to say mp3 on the sticker or else it would not play.

like i say I dont know what I am talking about but it could be a similar situation.

17. TBaGZ

TBaGZ Member

So I got the scoop today.. The bastards are putting standard DVDs in Blu Ray cases because they are slimmer and fit the machine better! Bah!

18. MultiCopr

MultiCopr Regular member

Wouldn't that be considered false advertising? If you are paying a higher price also then I would raise some #$%^.

19. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Honestly I think this entire story is a crock of you-know-what...

If people found out they were getting gypped out of $5-10 for what's supposed to be premium quality movies, Blockbuster could come under serious Legal fire..

Their not dumb enough to do something like this, especially something as low-brained as putting DVD's in Blu-Ray cases.

Unless your blind you can tell if it's a DVD or BD disc straight away just by looking at the labels.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  20. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

I'm gonna agree with Amir on this one. This sounds like a complete twisting of the truth at best; an utter fabrication otherwise.
    That, or someone needs to learn to read.