1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing Blue-Ray on regular DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by MultiCopr, Nov 25, 2007.

1. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I am not 100% sure, but AnyDVD HD has been able to rip HD-DVD and Blu-Ray for about 6 months, if not longer.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That is exactly what I was saying, both AnyDVD HD and DVDFab HD Decrypter have been cracking the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray encryption for quite some time now.

3. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Yes - I was confirming your statement. They have been doing it for some time now.

4. rastan

rastan Member

So if I download a ripped blu-ray film that is anywhere from 4.7Gb to 7.5Gb then if I burn it to a DL disk will it play on my stand-alone dvd player to my lcd tv?

5. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

No, you still need a decoder chip capable of handling 1080p resolution and also the AVC, VC-1 video compression formats.

A stand alone DVD player is only capable of decoding up to 576p in mpeg2 format.

6. morgandy

morgandy Member

Can you explain more about the decoder chip, how to use it, and how to use/where to get the compression formats?

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You need a player that can handle HD format(Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/PS3). You can't just buy a "chip" and somehow attach it to your regular player, MacGyver style. You can convert it to a regular DVD, but lose the HD quality.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  8. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Yes, you can purchase these decoder chips, they all come with a free Blu-ray player! :p

Please excuse my cheekiness. The only way you can play 1080p content is to buy either of the following... 1) HD-DVD stand alone player. 2) Blu-ray stand alone player. 3) Xbox 360. 4) PS3. 5) Home Theater PC (with Dual Core CPU as minimum).

9. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

That's like asking if you could convert your record player to play CD's - using a DVD spindle adapter, a red-laser phono cartridge, and a audio codec chip.

And for converting from HD to standard-def DVD, that's like taking a CD and making an album (adding hissing, clicks, and pops) so you could play it on your record player.

I think you get the idea. It's just more confusing because the discs are the same size and the drive looks like a DVD drive. Under the hood there are big differences.

They want your money - they want you to buy a HD player.

I say rent the standard dvd and watch the movie. When you can afford the HD player (and have an HDTV), start buying the movies.

If you want to dive in now, you could by an HD-DVD player for next to nothing and the movies are up to 75% off. The format is dead, but you could start watching HD movies sooner.

10. rastan

rastan Member

11. Locster60

Locster60 Member

I was wondering this also. I buy Blu movies now but dont want to have to buy a second copy for the DVD players in my home. I have a large family and allot of tvs so my children will watch movies on the regular DVD's and regular TV's. We have a PS3 and 1 HD tv were we do family night. But i would like to make a regular copys of my Blu movies onto a dvd so the kids as well as my wife can watch them on any tv . If there is a way to make a lower quality to go onto a DVD could some one give me the info thanks.

12. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Yeah, same problem at my house. I think it would be great if all Blu-Ray DVDs were combo discs like some of the HD-DVDs were, or at least put a second DVD in the case that is standard definition.

Come on companies, give us little guys a break!

Only problem with that is they want you to buy a house-full of Blu-Ray players. What would be the incentive if they gave you a standard DVD with the Blu-Ray? It would take you a lot longer to convert over all of your old DVD players.

13. rumple76

rumple76 Member

I don't know much about this, but I have a standalone upconverting dvd player that plays avi files. If I tried to play a downloaded blu-ray rip on this player, which is connected to my HDTV, would it work?

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If the Blu-Ray rip is "virgin", it will not play!