1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing burned DVDs hang 80% through the movie

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by havarti, Sep 17, 2004.

1. havarti

havarti Member

Has anyone else experience problems playing DVD-Rs create using DVD2One (movie only) and Toast (Mac OS X). The disks are all created correctly, but often hang or lock up commercial DVD players about 80% of the way through the video. They all play fine using my Mac DVD player however.

Thanks for all feedback.

2. iFix

iFix Member

Huh... interesting. I get a similar problem, but not exactly the same thing. At least you can play all the way through your dvd on your mac. With mine, both Mac's dvd player AND my Toshiba player hang up on the dvd-r with only 5-15 minutes remaining in the movie.

Want to hear the weirdest part? It doesn't happen all the time.. I don't understand: Ghost in the Shell was 4.36 GB and I got the entire movie no problem! Requiem for a Dream was 4.33 GB.. you'd think, "hey! it's smaller, no problem!" WRONG.. missing end of movie.

Does that make any sense at all? i don't think so.. I'm not sure if it's the media I'm using or what? (memorex 8x 4.7 GB)

I know I didn't help any, just had to vent my frustrations in case someone can help us out!

3. havarti

havarti Member

I have tried 5 different kinds of media and 4 different DVD players. the burned DVD's don't hang 100% of the time for me either, but probably 9 out of 10 are a problem.

I wonder sometimes if the problem is read error checking on the DVD players. maybe there are lots of read error as the disk is spinning faster towards the center of the disk and the DVD player does not do a good job of buffering the errors and catching up.

Thanks.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

havarti

I have about 200 DVD2one movies and they all play perfectly. How many standalones have you tried them in?

5. havarti

havarti Member

I have tried about 4 different stand alone DVD players, ranging from portable, to XBOX, to 2 different commerical console players. The only one that works consistently is my Apple Laptop player.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

havarti

Hmm! Havarti is good cheese.

Are you ripping your movies in file mode?

7. havarti

havarti Member

Yes, using Toast in "Data" mode using the "DVD-ROM (UDF)" option. Should that make a difference?

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I can't say I don;t use those applications. Just for fun why don't we download DVD Decrypter and rip with that in file mode and see how that works. Its free and here at Ad just click the link.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."[/small]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  9. chinook

chinook Guest

this problem was the bane of my burning existence for a few months. Every disc I made wasn't guaranteed to come out right - at a time only about 10% of the discs were working right. I don't know where exactly the problem was but after changing a bunch of things it now works pretty much 100% of the time.

I updated my DVD-RW burner from a Pioneer A-104 to a Pioneer 106 and changed from burning Memorex DVD's (these were the worst DVD's I've ever burned on) to some 4X ones (princo I believe) which work a lot better. Now I'm loving burning but I sure was pissed before when I'd burn a disc, it would say that it burned 100% and I'd get to 5 mins from the end and it would get choppy and stall - argh!

10. iFix

iFix Member

Thanks chinook... I think u might have helped me out! Can I ask, does your dvd burner burn @ 4x? I'm just trying to clarify; you said once you used 4x media it worked, right? Was the previous media you used 8x? Cause I've tried multiple brands, but they were all 8x and my burner is 4x. I didn't think it should be a problem since the media claims "1x-8x" compatible. Huh.. thanks a lot!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  11. havarti

havarti Member

I have a 1x burner and have tried both 1x and 4x DVD-Rs. I have tried Memorex, Fuji and 3 "off brand" disks. All of these have been unreliable for me.

12. havarti

havarti Member

"Sophocles" Thanks for your suggestions. I can't use DVD Decrypter because there is only a Windows version. I need to find an Apple OS X solution... Fortunatley/Unfortunately

13. iFix

iFix Member

Well Havarti, my question was really aimed at chinook, because his situation seems more like mine. Unfortunately, your problem is different. Since your DVDs play all the way through your Apple player just fine, I dunno. Mine hang with 5-10 minutes remaining in every player.

I did find one clue, however. Check out my thread, "DVD2one output a lie???" If anyone knows what this is all about, please tell me.

Sorry I can't help, Havarti. Chinook is still my best bet I think. And btw, if I can't get things fixed, I'm gonna prolly try "DVDRemaster". Havarti, this is a Mac OS X only application. Does same thing as DVD2OneX. Supposedly it might work better for us. I'll try it later as a last resort.

14. iFix

iFix Member

Hey again, just thought I'd update my situation in case someone with a similar problem stumbles across this thread...

HooooooRayyy!!! I finally have perfect DVD-Rs! The solution? A LOW burn speed did the trick. Unfortunately, 1x is very very slow. Yes it sucks, but I only have to burn @ 1x for movies that take up a lot of space (say 4.29 GB and higher). And I guess I don't really mind if I'm getting full, complete movies. Yay! No more coasters!!

Good luck to the rest of ya'll.

15. chinook

chinook Guest

sorry for the late response. On my previous burner and media I had used 1X, and 2X neither worked well. On my new burner I can burn at 4X no problem - I don't think I've had a coaster that wasn't my fault in months! If you want to talk about this outside the forum you can email me at mh_harms at nospamyahoo dot com. Good luck!