1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing Converted MKV files in BDP-S350 Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by BillN96, Sep 20, 2008.

1. andrew_cz

andrew_cz Member

Looking forward to your results and how you did it.

Thanks.

2. andrew_cz

andrew_cz Member

It would be very kind of you if you could, in short form, write a simple guide on the steps you took in order to convert a downloaded .mkv into a dvd playable on a blu-ray standalone, such as the Sony BDP-S350.

Thanks m8.

3. 2012

2012 Member

No worries! I'm encoding again tonight, so will post tomorrow with some quick & solid steps to follow. THANKS!

4. 2012

2012 Member

Hope this helps! These are the steps I use to take an MKV file and make it playable on my BDP-350 using DVD-R's. I'd love some feedback if someone knows how to make things easier or higher quality!

1) Try a sample of your MKV file using steps 3 thru 6 first. That way you know if you even have the double image problem. If everything works you're set! If you do have the double image, this works for me.

2) Using Ripbot264 add the top/bottom black bars to provide the BDP-350 with the proper resolution needed.

Open Ripbot264 -> Add your file -> By default the video mode is setup for *I think* CQ 22, I change that to 18 as it's higher quality...I'm not concerned with the file size trade off -> Click Properties (on the left side) -> Under Resize I set it for 1280x720 (assuming I'm working w/a 720p film). -> Make sure Save As is set to MKV -> Click START!

It takes me roughly 6 or 7 hours for encoding in Ripbot, so I let it run overnight.

3) Using mkvmerge GUI (part of the mkvtoolnix package) I split the file into roughly 3GB chunks. You could bypass this step if you wanted to use a single double-density DVD to burn your movie on...but I have tons of blank DVD-R's so it's the best step for me.

Open mkvmerge GUI -> Add the file -> Click the Global Tab -> Check Enable Splitting -> Use after size 3000M -> Click Start Muxing

4) Using tsMuxeR I prepare each smaller MKV chunk for Blu Ray burning.

Open tsMuxeR -> Add the File -> Click the Create Blu Ray Disc button -> Click Start Muxing

5) Using imgburn I burn the file to a DVD-R. The steps for this part have to be configured just right...the below link has all the steps:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_mkv_to_avchd_for_ps3_and_blu-ray_page_2.cfm

6) Put that DVD-R in your BDP-350 and grab a cold drink! You should be set.

Hope this helps! I'm working with a new problem now...black screen with audio and no video. I have a few fixes, but am trying to refine that now. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on how to help make this faster/easier/cheaper! I'd love to know if 2-Pass mode in Ripbot has any advantages. THANKS!

5. andrew_cz

andrew_cz Member

Thanks for the help 2010:

The preset for 720p solution is great. I have the same BluRay player as you so I tried my first AVCHD encode with that enabled. Worked perfectly. I never had the double image problem because I never encoded to Bluray/AVCHD before. Using RipBot was my 1st time and I'm glad I did some research on how to do it first. Your response helped me avoid finding it out the hard way.

As for the steps you just outlined...I think it was step#4, splitting the files to 3GB. Why? I just don't see the point, unless you're trying to get rid of too many blank dvd's. The resulting mkv or bluray is much less than 4GB already (source .mkv was 4.4GB...after RipBot, it was about 2.2GB, and after tsmuxer it was still about 2.2GB). By the way, RipBot on my pc takes only about 1.5-2hrs but that's probably because I have a Q6600 and RAID-0.

My point is, I'm happy to have a working AVCHD disc playable on my Sony by simply:

1) Re-encode my original .mkv to 720p using the preset in RipBot.
    2) Use tsmuxer
    3) Use ImgBurn or Nero to burn on a blank DVD

It's much simpler this way and quality is excellent. Of course, I've only done 1 movie using this method (doing a 2nd one now in the background) and I'm confident this'll work fine for future attempts. I've yet to do a 1080p but unfortunately too many movies are being released as 720p. I am getting a 1080p next so I'll be using the 1080p preset in RipBot for that.

6. 2012

2012 Member

THANKS! Yeah the guy who made Ripbot gave a really cool gift to everyone!!

Sweet rig on the computer!

I split if I have file sizes over 4GB, that's been the norm for me as most MKV files I've found worked perfect without needing any work. It's only been about 3 that I've needed to encode.

Here's to a great 2009 for everyone!!!!!

7. andrew_cz

andrew_cz Member

You don't use DL discs? I wouldn't split anything unless it's well over 8.4GB (DL).

One feature RipBot is missing is that although we can adjust the resolution, we cannot adjust the audio.

I downloaded some Pixar short films the other day. There were like 12. But some of them had different video and audio formats so I couldn't merge them into one .mkv, tsmuxer them and burn with ImgBurn.

So I used Ripbot to fix the video only. I then used mkvmerge GUI to demux the audio from it. Then I had to use BeSweet to convert from 192Kbps audio to 640Kbps (which is what the rest were). Once I did that I was able to merge them all back together with mkvmerge and continue with RipBot to convert to blueray/avchd and burned with Imgburn. A bit complicated but it was rather easy. I didn't even use any guides.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  8. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

9. sak50

sak50 Member

couldnt you just convert to a avi with avs video converter then burn is with vso divxtodvd?? or would this change the clarity??

10. sak50

sak50 Member

11. Wader999

Wader999 Member

This is great stuff, I am making one right now.
    Question: could you just make a blueray disk straight from ripbot, or do you have to use tsmuxer?

thanks
    Wader999

12. unclebuk

unclebuk Member

Hi,
    from my limited experience I'd say you can use ripbot alone if you wish. It does support the creation of the Blu Ray folders natively.

I recoded a 720p source with it a couple of days ago (to put back the black bars and make it pure 720 again) and it burned and played back fine.

cheers.

13. Wader999

Wader999 Member

Thanks, i will try it next time i use ripbot. I have a old slow cpu and it takes a long time to process a movie. which brings up my next questions.
    When I converted a movie that was xxx by 544, ripbot blew it up and sent it past the limits/settings(16:9) of my screen. is there a setting that keeps the native picture ratio?
    Also, is there a way to put multiple videos on one avchd. maybe by renaming the folders BDMV1 and certificate1?
    thanks for the help, again my computer is slow, so any help from peoples previous trial and error is greatly appreciated.
    Wader999

14. sak50

sak50 Member

If the file orginally is a mkv are you recoding to mkv??? I want to just put it on a dvd-r after wards and rip with nero... so should i just reencode to a mp4?? thanks

15. Wader999

Wader999 Member

Is there anyway to make a blueray file smaller from tsmuxer so I could fit a movie on a DVD w/o losing much quality?
    Wader999