1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing gamecube backups

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Warini, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Warini

Warini Member

well the question is very simple, wich is the best way to play gamecube backups (viper, PSOLoad, anaconda04, etc).

thanks for helping me.

2. molton

molton Member

Viper probably, but it's a lot of work or money to either get mini dvd-r's that work or mod your case to fit full size dvd's, and you'd need to buy a multimeter if you don't have one, the anaconda system works better than streaming the discs probably, but you'd need an SD loader (I'm not sure if it works with sd loader yet) or have your gamecube networked to your PC and wait for PSO's long startup, and you'd still have the media issues with anaconda too. Also, there's a possibility that you'd have to do the laser tweak to get any dvd-r's to work.

3. Artlover

Artlover Member

No, you don't need a multimeter for installing/user a viper unless you plan on tweaking the laser, which isn't neccessary if you use decent media. Full size FujiFilm -R works great for me without tweaking and original laser value of 540 ohms.

You don't need to mod your case for fullsize DVD's either. Just don't screw the top half of the case on, and lift it off when you want to play with a backup on fullsize media. This is what I do.

If you have made no investment, Viper is the cheapest and easiest way. Currently, Viper is $60 bucks.

There is also PSO-BBA, But you need an original copy of PSO and a BBA adaptor. This will set you back $80, and requires a very long and annoying proccess of booting PSO, then streaming over the loader each and every time you want to play a game. You're talking about 2 minutes of pre-loading & streaming time every time you want to do anything.

There is also SDLoad. This requires an ActionReplay, an SD memory card, SD Memory to GC adaptor (you can make your own out of an extra GC memory card). Looking at around $65 bucks. Requires loading ActionReplay, and entering a long code each & every time you want to play a game. It's MUCH better then the PSO-BBA method as it only takes how long it takes to boot the AR disc and enter in the code. Do it in 15-20 seconds, but it's still cumbersome compared to the viper.

There is also a variation of SDLoad that works exactly the same way, but doesn't use an SD card and uses a regular GC memory card instead. However, it requires you to use the PSO-BBA method of loading files to setup the card.

So the first question is, what do you care about, cost or convience? If you want convience, it's the Viper, no question about it. If it's cost you have to ask yourself another question, what gear do you already have? If you don't have anything and need to buy everything required, Viper is the cheapest option. But if you happen to have a BBA and/or PSO, or extra GC memory cards, or a spare SD card, or have access to any of this stuff for cheap, you'll want to consider the other options.

4. molton

molton Member

you need the bba and PSO to make backups right now anyway, and a multimeter might not be neccisary but I hate to think what would've happened to my viper and gamecube if I didn't check my connections, maybe a good magnifying glass would be enough but I think it's better to check and make sure with the continuity setting on the multimeter, I thought my connetion looked good on that yellow wire and it was actually connected to 2 other pins.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  5. Artlover

Artlover Member

You're assuming people are making their own backups. <evil grin> :)

6. hk_boy3

hk_boy3 Guest

What is the procesus to make GC Back-ups with the [bold]Viper Chip[/bold] ? (What's the first step)

Thanks

7. soccerboi

soccerboi Guest

You need a BBA and a ripping program to burn to disc. Then it asks you to replace the current dvd with the original game you want to rip. Sorry, it's not very detailed, I don't know much about ripping

8. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

Have you anyone tried ripping game in pure DOS mode?
    I have Windows XP, so there's no DOS, except with bootfloppy, and my XP bootfloppy dont work properly, some error when creating it:( and i havent found from internet any working bootfloppy.

9. soccerboi

soccerboi Guest

Quezacotl - press windows + R (run) then type in cmd. Dos in disguise!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2005
  10. CAR8624

CAR8624 Regular member

Anaconda04 all the way [Personally]! Unless you do not have any backups of your own, you still need to have BBA + PSO [or just BBA if you Google it] to make GC Games Backups. To play backups, Anaconda04 almost works the same way as ViperGC [except you need PSO in order for you to swap with backup game]. All you have to do is [after you load your program from your computer] swap with backup game after PSO stop spinning.

Maybe costly, but if you have no experience in soldering - I would go with Anaconda04 all the way.

11. koteshi

koteshi Regular member

12. gengar7

gengar7 Member

So lets see if i get it , If i mod my GC, and i want to do Backup of my games y need , PSO and BBA and all that stuff?

Thanks in advance