1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLAYING HD DVD'S, USING 90% TO 100 % CPU USAGE

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by rogue20, Jun 12, 2009.

1. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Hi, i'm getting 90% to 100% cpu usage when playing HD dvd's on my PC using my a Toshiba HD dvd drive, my computer specs are:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64X2 Daul Core 5000+ processor
    Graphics Hardware Acceleration: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    System Memory: 2GB RAM
    Pperating System WindowsXP Service Pack 2
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    Graphics Card Driver: 8.475.0.0
    Software player: PowerDVD 7.3.4407.0
    Video Connection Type: Digital(with HDCP)

I've read in test reviews in magazines using a AMD 3600+ Dual Core, and on various forums that using this set up i should be able to play HD and Blu-Ray disc's smoothly at around 30% to 35% CPU usage.

I did take this with a pinch of salt, but in the computer shopper magazine review of the ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, they used a 3600+ CPU, with the same motherboard, ram etc using a Blu-ray player and said it played smoothly with around 30% cpu usage, why is mine so high.

I've read other people don't get such high cpu usage with similar set ups, any ideas or is this normal and the ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics just can't handle the task, making the review of the motherboard graphics false, thanks for any help or advice.

2. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Update, read this on another site:

"And with some hardware accelerated HD you don't need much processing power for that either. Using a 780G based AMD system, even demanding BluRay titles only use about 20% of a dual core 2.4GHz AMD system. I believe a lot of that is the overhead of processing the DRM and running PowerDVD too."

"What you could do is go with an onboard GPU that will support bluray decoding in the event you want to upgrade when prices come down. In that case I would suggest the G45, 780g (I think?) or GF9400 chipset"

Is there something wrong with my setup?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Is that you have?

Seems your system should handle it, but maybe PowerDVD is the problem.

A quick peek for their latest version skips your GPU.

ATI:

* Minimum: ATI Radeon X1600 series, X1800 series, X1900 series
    * Recommended: ATI Radeon HD 2400, 2600, 2900, 3400, 3600, 3800, 4600 Series, and 4800 Series,
    * Recommended driver version: 8.44 or later

You might try perusing/asking here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

4. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Yes, i bought the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard with the 780G chip set because the review said it could play blu-ray dvd's smoothly with just a AMD 3600+ dual core at 30 cpu usage.

It say's on ther motherboard box, "Blu-Ray/HD DVD, Full Rate Lossless Audio etc, the only other thing that worries me is i bought my hd dvd player privately, he had lost the cyberlink software cd but got me a copy from his friend, he still had the installation code, it's the 7.3.4406.0 version.

It updates from the Cyberlink web site so i guess it's a genuine copy, is it possible it could be infected with something or came infected?, i've scanned with every scanner i have and all the online one's and i'm always clean.

Could it be the motherboard, i've had some issues with it, thanks for all the help.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I have the same MOBO and cpu (clocked at 2.9Ghz) and like it a lot. At less that $100 it does everything I need, plus the included imaging program was a nice touch. I have no HD opticals but 1080p MKVs play in VLC beautifully (at about 35% CPU). I have a strange feeling it's your Toshiba drive and the lack of any updated support for HD-DVD. Which model is it?

6. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Hi, thanks for the reply, my hd dvd's are now playing at 20% to 30% cpu usage after updating to the ATI drivers to the 9.5 version, it didn't work at first because the display driver didn't install properly and had to be re-installed, now video acceleration is working.

It's a Toshiba DVD/HD SD-H802A by the way, i have some firmware updates downloaded from various sites but i don't know which are the genuine one's, so i'm a little worried i might damage my drive if i use them.

I was about to start a new thread about what's the best media player for 1080p video files, as using MPC i still get about 75% cpu usage, It's even high with 720p, does VLC support some sort of video acceleration as well, thanks.

P.S. Still havin't ruled out a hardware problem with the mobo.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009