1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playing (not copying) SafeDisc2 games

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by mhowe, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Kind of like Jedi Knight 2.... the CD doesnt work with the straight-off-the-cd-install but with the 1.04 patch, it works fine. Glad to hear you got it working! :)

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

My question is then: Can you download& install the Civ 3 patch without Civ 3 installed? If mhowe has the "original" Civ 3 game then the pc game [bold] should [/bold] install. I've yet to encounter where I need to download a "patch"\install, then install the pc game (makes no sense). Sure the "patch" can update the cd protection (Safedisc) and when this happens it's usually because of those using virtual stealth drives to play the game and the patch eliminates that! (not in all cases though).

Shoey :)

3. mhowe

mhowe Member

Since I have the Civ3 "Game of the Year" edition, it is already patched to 1.29f. Even so, I tried reapplying the patch and it didn't help. The game never launches, so no Civilization3.ini file is created, anywhere on my HD. I'm beginning to think that either the CD is defective or I have a system setting or error somewhere that prevents my CD-ROM drive from passing the SafeDisc2 CD check, though I can't imagine what it is. And I have now tried two different drives, a Benq 656A and a Cyberdrive DM166. Is a bad CD the most likely cause at this point?

4. mhowe

mhowe Member

Well, I found a no-CD crack for Civ3 1.29f and now the game launches fine. So the CD check was indeed the problem. Now I need to try to install and run a different SafeDisc2 game so that I can find out if it's my system or if I just had a bad CD. Suggestions?

Thanks

5. Praetor

What specific version of SD2 is it using? Because I have seen problems with whatever it is for Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (cant remember the revision number but is 2.80.040 i think).

6. mhowe

mhowe Member

Praetor, I don't know. All ClonyXXL tells me is SafeDisc 2.8 and being new to all this I don't know how to get more specific version information.

7. Praetor

Grab the SafeDisc Analyzer and have a go (http://www.gameburnworld.com/cdridentifyingtools.htm).... with regards to your computer being SD2 "compatible", is there perhaps a SafeDisc2 patch or something from Microsoft? I remember reading somehting about that sometime but I'm not sure whether it was for 98SE or XP