1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing PAL PS2 games on an NTSC PS2

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by nrk4594, Oct 31, 2004.

1. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Try it out. The ultimate best way to run these is via HD Loader or by using a PAL -> NTSC converter

2. FlorisJan

FlorisJan Member

Ok, so I ran my game (Final Fantasy X) using SwapMagic and the game runs, but not for very long. I can get to the part where Tidus and Auron are on the bridge and Auron says "look". (In the original game, a FMV would pop up showing Sin releasing Sin Spawns), here is where it freezes. Has anyone else tried doing FFX using this converter? I only have SwapMagic and it isnt too reliable anymore.

3. redflame5

redflame5 Member

Hey guys, I have some questions.. Is it possible to patch SingStar: Bollywoodwith the patch programs seen in the first post in this thread, from PAL to NTSC? Also, since this file is over 5gb and the dvd disks I have are all 4.7 gb, is there anyway to make this game fit on a regular dvd so it'll play on my ps2? Thanks in advance

4. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I've tried that game for myself. The answer to patching it is No. It will patch but the Audio/Video/Words will all be off. Your best option is to use a NTSC/PAL converter. Also there is no way to fit it on a normal DVD, you'll either have to use HD Loader or a DVD-DL.

5. tomstone

tomstone Member

Hey guys,

I dont know if someone has discovered this yet, but I think I found a solution on how to get Dragonball Z BT3 to start. It appears that the screen adjustment data in the gamesaves are causing the problems of this game. Just patch and burn like your used to, and when the Language selection screen comes up, remove the memory and let the game start up without. When you have the titlescreen you can reinsert the Memory card.

6. redflame5

redflame5 Member

Ah, thank you so much, So if I buy one of those converters from ebay, or somewhere, then the PAL Singstar should work on my ps2 with no problems and I won't even need to touch the patch applications for other games? Thank you

7. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Computer monitors work too... Most likely.

8. Footie979

Footie979 Member

Any word on Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles? It was released in Europe, but cancelled in the US. I haven't patched it yet, so any advice would be good. Does it have a selector?

I also have an old Dreamcast version (possibly PAL), but I haven't tried it on my HDTV (that would mean digging out all my cables).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  9. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Try both. Make a copy of the game first on your HD. Game Patched and Game Unpatched. Try it on a DVD-RW or HD Loader if you got any of those.

10. Footie979

Footie979 Member

I just have a modded PS2, no HDD. Unfortunately it doesn't accept DVD-RWs. DVD+Rs are so cheap I'll try that.

I'm pretty sure the Dreamcast version I have was patched already because it ran fine on my older NTSC TV.

Edit: I patched it with ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix 1.06 and it patched the PAL to NTSC. Then it gave me this message: "Y Fix: Found 4 patch locations. Unable to patch Y pos. Wait for next program release or contact the author."

The disc played fine in color, but the screen was off center of course.

I also tried adr_patcher 0.5 on the already-patched image and it said that it patched in one place (didn't tell me any specifics). I'm not sure I want to waste another DVD+R if it just did the same thing. I didn't see anything in the game's menu about 60 Hz.

I guess I'll drag out the Dreamcast!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  11. gameraj

gameraj Guest

I have a slim NTSC U/C PS2 (unmodded). Model no is SCPH-75001.
    I got a Original PAL game as a gift(Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire).
    How can I make my PS2 paly the PAL game without a mod chip. Or if no other way which MOD chip is the best(how much would it cost).

I tried the PAL to NTSC y-fix but didn't work. But I used a DVD-RW(Memorex brand) for this purpose. Can this be the problem.

Please Help!
    any suggetions appreciated.
    from Raj.

12. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

You have to mod your system somehow. In you case, since it's the slim PS2, HD Loader is out of question. Your other alternative is a PS2 Modchip or Swap Magic Disc.

Swap Magic is more of a pain to use than the modchip. I believe its around $30

A modchip is hard to install, unless you get the Memor32 modchip. These are also $30.

The memor32 is the best and easiest modchip to use. Its basically just a memory card that you plug in.
    http://www.memor32.com/

Honestly, your best option is to buy the game used from Gamestop for $5.
    http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=38697

13. FatFadi

FatFadi Member

what if the game is not in any list how can I know what technic to use

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Trial and Error.

15. Truentity

Truentity Member

so i have a PAL siren 2 ISO, and the screen keeps moving up and down cuz our TV doesnt support it. So i patched it with pal2ntsc.exe
    And i managed to get the screen fixed and centered, But heres the problem , whenever there is an FMV it freezes at the middle of it!
    i really need to see the FMVs cuz 75% of the game is FMV.
    And i know its not my ISO file because it plays the FMV w/out freezing if i set it to PAL(only with the damn wavy screen)
    So pls. anyone help me on this :(

16. slayer068

slayer068 Member

okay can you please help me. I bought a BURNED Smackdown v.s Raw 2007 game from a PAL region. And I brought it to Canada to play. I did all the steps you told me to, but on the t.v i see like nothing. It gets past the part flashing PS2 and then it's just black with a little light dot. And when i used ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix it said it only found 1 path location. Also when I tried browsing the disc nothing was there. Please help me I really want 2 play dis game =(

17. apengkid

apengkid Member

i didnt know there was sa converter for four years (since you started this thread) thank you so much

18. bass44

bass44 Guest

***spam and spammer removed by loco***

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
  19. DaTTeN

DaTTeN Member

Hey guys, sorry if, what I'm about to write/ask, has already been asked, I just can't find energy to get through all those pages on this thread :p
    Well, to get to the point.. I have an imported version (from NTSC region) of "The Sopranos Road To Respect", and Iself live in Sweden (PAL region).
    So I did like this; I moved the game from the cd to my computer, used a program called "DVDDecrypter_3.5.4.0" (If I'm not mistaking?) and made a .iso out of it all. Then I used "ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix" and patched the .iso with this P/N selector selected (I find it more comfortable to be able to choose yourself, just in case it wouldn't work automatically, stupid me). So, I moved the game into my ps2 harddrive, and started it up(I use HD-Loader CD). I got to the Selector-screen, and tried PAL with Y-fix, it said "Loading..." but nothing happens. I leaved it like that for about ten minutes (just in case it's a little slow maybe) but it doesn't load up the game. Now, I've done my homework on the "ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix" program (not much homework really :p) and spotted this "Iop reboot" choice, 0 / 1 / 2..(I know, should've done that from the beginning). I've tried them all, with and without Y-fix option, but I still have the same problem.. so any ideas what I should do?! :S

(I've done this before with games like "Naruto3 Ultimate Ninja" and "Yakuza" and they've been working fine)

Thaaaaaank you!
    // Wesa[​IMG][/img]

20. DaTTeN

DaTTeN Member

Are you sure you didn't get screwed? Since you're saying that it was burned and all..?