1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing PAL PS2 games on an NTSC PS2

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by nrk4594, Oct 31, 2004.

1. sasuke33

sasuke33 Member

yeah that's what i'm assuming. i wonder if it would play if i bought one of those converter that converts the pal signals to ntsc signals and just play the pal version

2. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

anth4207 and bossplaya

Need for Speed Underground 2 REPACK USA PS2DVD-PROTOCOL has worked fine for me. I used Ritek G05 burned at 4X.

sasuke33,

If you have a cheat enhancer like codebreaker or gameshark, you can try to use cheat codes so the game will display for you. Check out the guides for pal2ntsc and y-fix.

www.codemasters-project.net/portal-english/apportal/index.php3?site=theme_detail&themeid=4

Or, you might consider the dms3 chip. It will automatically convert the signal to ntsc and center the screen.

3. bossplaya

bossplaya Guest

Well wouldn't you think that verbatim dvd-r at 2x speed would be fine wouldn't it. This is the only USA downloaded game I have had problems with.

4. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

I would think that it would work. I've had good experiences with Verbatim. The only thing I can think of is that you had other programs running while you were burning the game, and it caused a bad burn.

Also, sometimes I find that some of the discs that are in spindles are made poorly. Check the bottom of the disc. Look for dark purple spots on the bottom of the disc. There might be fingerprints or dust on the bottom also. If there is, use a soft tissue and wipe from the center outwards.

5. paul75

paul75 Member

I have Grand Turismo 4 Prologue in Pal and I have patch it once then burnt the original image I think I patched. Is this what I do?
    It is still in Pal when I play it on my PS2 with Swap Magic DVD. I tried again your patcher again it said to me "PAL 2 NTSC: already patched. Y FIX: could not find any patch locations." but it's not patched, what's the problem? I have wasted 3 DVDs already.

6. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

That game is a multi-elf game. When you patch it, only the beginning of the game will display correctly, then the rest of the game will be in PAL.

This converter will convert the signal for you throughout the game.
    www.chipzone.com/shop/showdetl.cfm?DID=12&Product_ID=229

Or consider the dms3 chip. You can automatically convert the signal to NTSC and center the screen.

7. paul75

paul75 Member

Is there a store I can go to. Thanks.

8. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

For the converter, chipzone is the only place I've seen it.

For the chip, I would recommend www.xmodd.com

9. recca-kun

recca-kun Member

hey i downloaded two games alien hominoid and ddr max. they didnt come in image files and im confused of what to do. they are all in a Rar archive form.

10. sasuke33

sasuke33 Member

thanks for all the help nrk, think i'll just wait for the ntsc release of the urbs for download.

and recca,the image file is inside the rar archive, get winrar and extract the image to burn

11. omega407

omega407 Guest

Help......I bought a flip top and the magic swap disc......

here how it go...I put the swap magic disc first then i put my Backup gameshark 2 v4...the gameshark screen load..i select the desire game...

press start game...insert game disc...I put my PS2 backup game ....it keep on saying cannot load disc.

I'm really getting a headache here...just can't figure it out...can someone, anyone help me.....please....any help will do.

12. recca-kun

recca-kun Member

[bold] need help[/bold]

Yeah i already knew there was iso files in the rar archives and i already got winamp or w.e program u use to extract them but the thing i should have asked for is that theres more then one rar archive and they each have a diff iso file. i got no idea what to do. also for each game it comes with one sfv file which i have no clue what to do with. so can someone help me out and sorry earlier for not givin enough information.

13. bossplaya

bossplaya Guest

recca-kun

If there is more than 3 rar files then extract the very first one trq_sg.01.rar

If there is only 3 rar files then extract the very last one cdz-pp2.rar

Notice that in the game with more then 3 there is a number from 00 or 01 to whatever, but on the game with only 3 rar files the first 2 have numbers but the last one does not.

14. recca-kun

recca-kun Member

15. bossplaya

bossplaya Guest

Hey nrk4594 I downloaded Metal Gear Solid 3 awhile ago and have been playing it on and off for awhile and anyway I just beat what i'm guessing to be the first part of it where the one chick named Boss throws me off the bridge. Anyway after that video is done playing the screen goes black and in the left top corner I get this blicking box that goes for ? to disc image. Anythoughts as to why it will not recongize the disc after this part??? Any way to get past this??? It is the NTSC USA version also I did not have to patch it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2004
  16. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

What brand are you using? Ritek G05 works fine for me. I haven't had those problems. Also, maybe you burned above 1x?

So, I recommend using high quality media burned at 1X. If that's what you did, maybe you need to clean your laser.

17. bossplaya

bossplaya Guest

Ok I use Verbatim DVD-R discs and the lowest write speed avalible with my dual Lite On dvd burner is 2x. And my buner is only about 5 or 7 months old??? Anyother suggestions??? Maybe next time I'll try an even better media disc. What would you reconmmend???

18. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

verbatim at 2x is good. it could be your ps2, how old is it? You might have to clean your lense.

19. bossplaya

bossplaya Guest

Has been awhile since I've cleaned my ps2 lens. It's what about 4 years old now...whenever they came out that's how old it is. And it's still ticking pretty well. I'll try cleaning my ps2 but it's weird that it'll play the beginning and then quit.

20. TheDude55

TheDude55 Member

Hey NRK, you seem to be the expert with this stuff. I downloaded a backup copy of Manhunt, burned it and found it was PAL b/c of the black & white skipping screen. I d/l the 2 PAL to NTSC converters, but they don't support .MDF files. How should I go about this. Is there a way to convert the .MDF to a .ISO?? What are your thought?? Thanks in advance