1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing PAL PS2 games on an NTSC PS2

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by nrk4594, Oct 31, 2004.

1. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

2. recca-kun

recca-kun Member

its not just the games thats the problems its that i cant even connect to the network!!! ive been having troubles with that ! i can do it on my non modded ps2 but not the modded one

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  3. visualxp

visualxp Member

if you own the modem, you should also own the comfiguration cd. run it and make a config. check it by playing one of the demo games that are included in that cd and after that a config save file will be created in your memory card with the correct configuration for your mothem. Once you do that you are able to play Original Games in your ps2. i really dont know how to patch the backup games to work online but i have heard that you need the original game to extract a id.. so if you need the original game is not so usefull.

4. recca-kun

recca-kun Member

ok i know how to install the config with the cd and all cause ive done it with my non modded ps2 but it wont work on my moded one. i was thining making i should try making my connection with a online game instead of my cd that came with the modem.

5. visualxp

visualxp Member

i own a modded one and it worked perfectly the online config cd. try again. What error are you getting?

6. recca-kun

recca-kun Member

i would like to tell u but unfortunatly i gotta get it fixed its not reading ne disk right now but i think it was error 402 or 202

7. visualxp

visualxp Member

i just connected the isp cable into the modem, after that i run the config cd and it saved it in my memory. then i just played atv fury 2 :D

8. obwan

obwan Member

Anybody here bought anything from ModChip.com? I'm looking at their no solder modchip + swapmagic combo, just wondering if they're reputable.

9. recca-kun

recca-kun Member

well thanks ne way but i know how to do easy stuff like setting up the internet cause ive dont it before but it doesnt work online!

10. Italia56

Italia56 Member

recca-cun some ps2's just wont go online. If you didn't mod your ps2 sony would fix it for u for free. Always check every aspect of your ps2 before modding.

P.S. For those of you trying to play imports get a dms3pro or dms4 and save the headache. You can force it to ntsc or pal

11. Italia56

Italia56 Member

recca-kun also u said you cant read disks. You probably need to clean your lens w/ a q-tip and alcohol, if that doesn't work you need to calibrate your lens(do a search on google for "ps2 disk read error fix"). i dont have the time to explain how to do it right now im at work.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  12. Italia56

Italia56 Member

Just dawned on me do u have ur ps2 in sleep mode when going online w/ originals, or patch the dnas

13. eleazarm

eleazarm Member

(i'm chilean, so my english is too bad, sorry) hi, i'm new here, but always read the post of this forum.
    i were patch with the pal2ntsc yfix tool eight games, and only four i can play now, the others have different problems ....
    - killzone (yfix : 48) boot, but appears the playstation 2 screen and then keep in black screen (i will trying with another yfix configuration, and write about here).
    - bmx xxx (yfix : 48) boot, all fine, but keep in pal format, what can i do????
    - call of duty finest hour (yfix:48) the same bmx's game problem.
    - the urbz (yfix : 48) boot like killzone, but instead of appears a game screen like a city with building and lights and keep that.

working games:
    -pop warrior within (yfix:48) works 100%, 0 inchs of black screen on top, no black band, just like ntsc.
    -crash twinsanity (yfix:48) works 100%, no black band on top, but the image is too big to my tv, but centering the screen have no image loss.
    -jak3 (yfix:48) same as twinsanity, bu this have the 60hz option in video options.

that all, please help me

14. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

Try this:

Boot a copy of Swap Magic 3. After it loads, eject it. Insert the PAL game. Let it read the new TOC. Select NTSC on screen, then press the SQUARE BUTTON for special boot.

15. Krevnik

Krevnik Guest

Well, with your patch, Worms Forts (original, PAL) doesn't boot using a vanilla SM 3.2 boot (Special Boot doesn't seem to work well on the V9, and it won't refresh TOCs from the PAL disc, since it seems to double-check and locks SM). Patching a rip doesn't work either.

One thing that seems odd is that using the patcher you supplied, it finds /6/ locations for the Y-Fix patch, probably because of the code involved with the adjusting the screen. I am wondering if the Y-Fix is goofing up the patch, (AR Patcher isn't available from the link anymore) as SM loads partially (which uses a partial Y-Fix), and loads perfectly if I just leave it as PAL when loading using SM 3.2.

16. eleazarm

eleazarm Member

thank for the answer nrk...., but i need a solution without the swap magic boot dvd or the dms3 modchip, i know about this two method to play pal games on my ntsc console and tv, but i like to know if with pal2ntsc patch i can play this games (killzone,bmx xxx, the urbz, call of duty) if i change any config, please tell me, thank anyway.

17. xzij

xzij Member

hello this is my first post since i saw alot of help is given here regarding to the pal ntsc convertion problem...

well here is my problem... I recently downloaded a game called "Kya: Dark Lineage pal full dvd". I converted it into ntsc format like nrk4594 said (thanks alot), but when i run the game the opening movie lags alot and sound are all skippy. Also during the game play some parts of the game slows down alot. So I tried the pal veriosn which was black and white it did't slow down at all. i dunno what have I done worng and produced this slowness, please help me thanks

18. Krevnik

Krevnik Guest

Well, one has to remember patches like this work by modifying the code in the game. There is no sure-fire way to patch it on the fly so occasionally the patch will fail to function correctly as it interferes with other parts of the game.

The four methods of playing PAL games on an NTSC system (or vice versa) are:

1) Use a swap disc set (like Swap Magic) that will 'patch' the game as it loads it into RAM.

2) Use a mod-chip that can convert the video signal itself (like the DS3).

3) Use a software app to patch the game (such as the one posted in this thread), and burning a copy to be loaded from a swap disc.

4) Use a seperate signal converter. These can be cheap or expensive, depending on where you try to get one. Lik-Sang sells stand-alone converters in the 30$ range. ChipZone.com sells a PS2-specific one for 15$, but beyond that you are looking at devices that pros use in the 200+$ range. These are the most compatible overall, but the most expensive option. (You get what you pay for folks)

And to clarify on the report I made: Worms Forts Under Siege does not work with any form of NTSC patching. I can load backups of the original just fine as long as nothing attempts to make it NTSC in software. 3 different NTSC patchers produces similar results: Freeze during the SEGA logo FMV. Y-Fix, no Y-Fix, SM NTSC loading, all fail the same way (although not providing the select in the tool listed in the thread creates an unbootable ELF). Yup, time for a signal converter.

19. xzij

xzij Member

so the laggin in the game is normal?... cuz i use a modchip and it lags alot...hammers my enjoyment even to play it

20. Krevnik

Krevnik Guest

Well, the lagging isn't "normal", but there are only a couple of ways to deal with it. Any sort of software solution to change PAL->NTSC is going to give you mixed results. As I said, the patch will sometimes have unintended consequences and mess something else up (in this case, it causes lag in the game).

A hardware PAL->NTSC solution like the DS3 or a PAL->NTSC box that plugs into the video-out of the PS2 will convert the signal without causing lag or other issues (other than possibly not properly synched to the TV on the Y-Axis).