1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing PC Games on the Newest MAC Notebook?

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by CABeach, May 16, 2006.

1. CABeach

CABeach Member

Well I went to the MAC store and asked "Since MAC can now run Windows XP and I can run anything to do with PC, will the games be the same? Slower, Faster, Better Graphics, Worse Graphics? Any errors at all?" The guy said no errors, better graphics, and faster. Is that all true? It seems fishy to me.

2. natony

natony Guest

Because the new Macs are based around Intel hardware, they run Windows exactly the same as any PC would. So as far as no errors goes, the mac won't cause your games to crash, freeze, anymore than they might on a PC. As far as better graphics and running faster, it's purely a matter of the specs. So in theory a better specced mac will run faster than a lower end windows box and vice versa.
    That said, the general opinion of people I know who have used boot camp is that Windows and apps run faster and more stable on the new mactels than on PCs. Probably as a result of better quality hardware.
    Now all you have to consider is the price...

3. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

the great thing about running the pc games on a mac no more hacking because there are viruses that attack windows programs but there are no hackers that attack mac os x so if your running windows xp on mac os xI then think about the possibilitys including no more viruses becuase on the virtual windows on mac it still displays the mac ip address which no hacker will go after

kinda cool when you think about it

4. CABeach

CABeach Member

Price isnt a problem. But what I am really concerned about is, will my games be at their peak or their best performance with the newest mac notebook or the newest pc notebook? And how long will the new mac notebooks video card last me? Will it be able to run games at amazing quality for years, months, weeks?

5. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

depending on the games..
    you can get the macbook pros or the macbooks to do the native install of windows xp..

what pc can do this? its like anything.. its always being updated. upgraded and new technology comes out..

the cards in the machines.. are mainly made by nvidia.. the same ppl that make the cards for pcs.

as long as you have enough hard drive space and enough ram. again, just like in a PC.

just because its on a mac does NOT mean that you will not get the viruses the hacking and all the JOYS *scarcasm* of a pc. windows will be running natively on that machine regardless of the fact that it does have tiger running on it. if you do get some attack on viruses or anything like it.. it WILL affect your machine. when installing the windows on your machine.. you will be asked to allocate a certain amount to your xp partition.

again.. the cards in the machines.. are mainly made by nvidia.. the same ppl that make the cards for pcs.

hope that helps.. later

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  6. natony

natony Guest

With regards to graphics cards, the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600s in the top Macbook Pros are very sweet cards. (They are ATI not Nvidia.)They aren't top of the line though, the X1800 is ATI's top of the line notebook graphics card http://www.nvidia.com/page/go_7800gtx.html. Nvidia's equivalent cards for notebooks are the GeForce 7 Go series http://www.nvidia.com/page/go_7800gtx.html.

You can get better cards for desktop computers, but they severely affect battery life, so an important question is are you wanting to play games on the run, or just have a portable "desktop replacement" notebook, which will be plugged into mains power most of the time?

Also checkout http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/notebook_all_gaming.aspx - Alienware make some awesome gaming laptops.

7. CABeach

CABeach Member

Battery life is not an issue for me. I would get an alienware except they cant run mac and windows. its annoying cause i get a pc, more powerful video card but no mac os. I get a mac, somewhat good video card and can run xp and mac os, but I dont have a blazing amazing video card. By the way, isnt there already a 1GB video card? wouldnt that blow the 256MB video card the mac notebook comes with?

8. natony

natony Guest

Yes, a 1GB graphics card is better than a 256MB graphics card (I don't think a 1GB card has been made for notebooks yet, ie low heat, low power). Although there are other important specs- throughput and GPU speed.

But basically, it seems that your highest priority is getting the best gaming experience possible, so my recommendation would have to be the alienware (as much as it pains me to say it). This is not to say that the Macbook pro won't run your games awesomely, but it's not a purpose built gaming machine, so it can't match the top end alienware stuff.

You did say that money's no object though, so just get both ;)