1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing PS2 with S-Video instead of RCA

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by JRoland, Feb 26, 2005.

1. JRoland

JRoland Member

Hello,

I don't know if this is the correct place to post, but since it has more to do with digital video rather than PlayStation2, I figured I'd be safe.

Anyway, I recently purchased a PlayStation2. I am currently using standard RCA cables to connect it to my TV. All is functional and everything. However, I am very interested in a getting a S-Video cable to connect it to my TV. However, my TV doesn't have a S-Video connector! :(

I recently purchased a 4-Port RCA/S-Video Hub which allows a user to choose what INPUT device is active. Follow? Anyway, I was wondering, what if I had a S-Video connector going to the hub and a standard RCA cable going into the TV?

Thanks for your help and please talk down to me! ;)

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

It wouldn't do a thing. Your tv would still be recieving video info from the RCA cable, not the S-vid, so you wouldn't see any benifits.

3. JRoland

JRoland Member

Dang, that's what I figured! I just wanted to see if there was some way to "retard" the signal...

Well, in a related note, is there a way/converter that would plug into my Video RCA jack that would convert it to an S-Video jack?

Thanks!

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Yes, there are A/V selectors that can upconvert the signal. There are no visual benifits though. The signal is only as good as the source. The best thing to do is s-video to s-video. If you have component inputs, then use those. Same for DVI.
    What are you trying to do?

5. JRoland

JRoland Member

Ahh - now I get it - I think.

I am trying to get a clearer picture with my PlayStation2 on my television. However, my TV doesn't have an S-Video input on the back of it so I was just trying to see if I can "upconvert" like you said.

However, the one thing I still don't understand is the "no visual" differences. What I mean is, if I get the converter you are speaking of, does that mean I still won't get a clearer picture?

Thanks for all the help!

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

The only way you will get a clearer picture is upgrade to a newer TV. Though S-video is better than composite, component is the way to go.

As for down converting an s-video signal to composite, your still at the very best going to get composite results, at the least a fuzzy with lots of contrast picture due to the amp in the converter.

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

there are games that support widescreen tv too.
    star ocean 3: till the end of time
    and
    ace combat 5
    to name a few.

and suikoden 4 support progressive.

so you might want to consider a progressive crt at least.

8. JRoland

JRoland Member

Thanks for the replies all!

For now, I think I'm going to stick with this TV. It's a 27inch for my bedroom so I'm not too worried about the picture. I guess when I move out, I'll invest in a nice one!

Anyway, I just wanted to see if I could manage a clearer picture on this cheaper TV. Oh well - I can still play the games!

Thanks again!