1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing Region 2 DVDs

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ace214, Feb 15, 2008.

1. ace214

ace214 Member

Hi,

I just ordered some Region 2 DVDs for my girlfriend (the Ally McBeal series) because they aren't being released in the US due to music rights issues.
    I have been researching how I am going to play these discs once I get them. Here's my understanding:
    She can play them in her computer if: we find a RCE-1 firmware for her drive, and then use VLC to play them? Or can we not just use something like AnyDVD, cus I thought that emulated regions.
    And to play them on her DVD player we would have to find the codes on the internet that unlock it?

Thanks for any help. Just trying to be able to play them when I give them to her.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you want to play them on your PC:
    You can get AnyDVD( a bit pricey now) or DVD43 that will remove the region protection on the fly;
    You can make your drive region free(what DVD drive do you have?) by downloade modified firmware( I love my burner with a mod. firmware!) To play them on your PC, you would need MPC , VLC , or WMP(if you have a mpeg-2 codec installed)

If you want to play it on your standalone DVD player-some players can be made region free with a modified firmware(if you have a player with upgradable firmware). If not, you would have to copy them.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DVD43.htm

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  3. ace214

ace214 Member

Ok good to know that I can just use DVD43. I was under the impression that I had to use that in conjunction with the firmware hack. My girlfriend would probably get a little iffy with the firmware thing on her laptop....

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

No, you use one or the other.
    I use a hacked firmware(have been for the past 2 years), now I can booktype the DVD+R to DVD-ROM for greater compatibility and is region free.
    DVD43 is supposed to work. Is not as good as AnyDVD though, but that one is pricey.