1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playing svcd download on my computer

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by mariapio, Jan 15, 2004.

1. mariapio

mariapio Member

I obviously have a lot to learn about all this stuff, but for the moment how can I play a avi. movie I downloaded in the SVCD format on my Dell Inspiron 5100?

Simple, step by step instructions would be appreciated.

I have already tried several different players and burning the movie on a CD/RW disc and playing it from the drive. I also have downloaded a program that is supposed to tell me what is missing, but it says all the codecs are there,so what do I do?

2. dududa

dududa Member

Do you have WMP??

It should be able to play svcd (it can play vcd at least)...

I donĀ“t think that svcd is in .avi format, but mpeg-2...

3. mariapio

mariapio Member

Thanks for the reply. I have tried it on WMP and abouat 5 other players. G spot says Directshow claims it can play it, but nothing seems to work. Do I need to get a special decompressor or somethingMadame Mary PIOTROWSKI

4. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

Well, if it's an .avi, it's not SVCD. SVCD are mpeg files, and as such, would have an .mpg extension. I would try AVICodec to analyze the file. I believe it's a freeware program, just google it, install it, and tell me what it says if you would.

5. duderjace

duderjace Member

Hello! I was wondering this for a while myself. I'd put stuff onto a svcd for my mate to play on his standalone dvd player, but I wanted to check the disk on my pc first. I found that the version of power dvd installed on the pc played it fine. It might be useful to you. Hope that helps, Jace.