1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing SVCD movie files

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by silverjun, Aug 16, 2004.

1. silverjun

silverjun Member

FAQ didn't work.

What exact codcec do I need? Link please

2. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

3. silverjun

silverjun Member

didn't work

4. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Hmmm, is it one particular file not working or several?
    What is the actual file\s in question?

5. silverjun

silverjun Member

its an .mpg file. Which was created from a .bin and .cue which were needed to be made into a CD by Nero or something like that. I cannot play any SVCD's I download unless i have the correct codec, which I have (mpeg-2), that doesnt work so i need other ones.

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Codec packs generally not a good idea as in the past there is evidence of doing more harm than good, but thats my opinion :)

silverjun, SVCD is MPEG-2. A bin/cue CD Image is supposed to be burned to a CD-R (usually 2+ cd-rs for an svcd movie_. You can burn in nero by clidking recorder burn image, or file - burn image for some older versions.

As for your MPG file, to play it, install a software vd player like windvd and it will install the MPEG-2 codec. If it wont play the file then, the possibility is that the file has Riff headers (which all SVCD files do.

If that is the case, download VCDEasy and click tools - mpeg tools. Then at the end of the program is the dat to mpeg conversion, in the dat field, put in the current mpeg file, and in the mpeg file field, choose a location to save a NEW true mpeg file, then click convert.

If you have other problems, please post what they are!

7. silverjun

silverjun Member

windvd worked

in the FAQ, downloading windvd with bittorrent to get a permanent version should be included and detailedly specified that thats how you play SCVD's since most movies on bit torrent are SVCD. its illegal but what isn't on the internet

Thanks