1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing xvid endoded files problem

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Bloodlord, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Bloodlord

Bloodlord Member

I have very hard ploblem. I am having an intel celeron 300 mhz processor and windows 98 operating system. When I use virtual dub to playback xvid encoded files it plays without any problem.
    When I use any player I found that:
    If I exacly after the restart of my computer play video which resolution is smaller or equal 320x240 the file is played without any problem, and if I close the file and open again the file I found that are additionaly loaded Intel Indeo Codec and Decompressor, and then the fps that I have is about 3. So I removed those codecs and the video playback is normal, at any time.
    2.If the video resulotion is higher than 320x240 I found that if there are instaled Intel Indeo codecs they are loaded always even after restart of my computer and I have about 0.1 fps, so I thought that if I remove them like in 1 the video playback would be normal, but then I have no video.

And at all I have sound. And I don't wan't recompress those files to divx because it takes a long time - about 10 hours for one file.

Please help me, what to do to play directly in players and watch the films in full screen mode !!!!

Thanks for everyone!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I can tell you Right now that your PC is Far too Slow To Play XviD files in full Screen..There was Someone here with the same Problem just a couple weeks ago with a 450mhz AMD and he could not play Files in fullScreen on his PC either....I think it is Time for an Upgrade because your PC is Very Archaic..You Can upgrade your PC to a New Intel 2.5ghz CPU with a New ECS MotherBoard with an 8X AGP and Hyperthreading Support for about $115 US and add Maybe $20 for a New Power Supply if needed, that is a proscessor more than 8 times your Current Speed...If you want I can Hook you up with someone who can get you a Deal Like this, It is your Only option if you want to Play Files in fullscreen and want to use your PC for any video related stuff....good luck

3. Bloodlord

Bloodlord Member

But I don't know why the players loads Intel Indeo Codecs??!! The player should load only the xvid filter, video render and mp3 filter. But they load also intel indeo video codecs. And the playback proces is that: xvid filter decodes frame and the intel indeo codecs compress the frame and again decodes the frame and then i get the frame on my screen. And I don't know how to remove or block those intel indeo codes from loading. In VirtualDub the video playback is perfect and should have a full screen mode option :).
    If I could remove those stupid Intel Indeo Codecs the playback in normal players will be as good as in virtualdub.
    Minion ... with upgrade of my computer is problem because of money, i'm from poland and i'm poor. I'm student now and my english is not very good and I can't make money.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Indeo Codecs will Play Fine because they are Not very compressed and were developed back when PC"s were slow so they need very little CPU Power to Decode....What Type of Motherboard do you have because if it can be upgraded at all I Might have a CPU here that I can send you for nothing?? Just a Thought...Cheers

5. Bloodlord

Bloodlord Member

If the intel indeo codes are not loaded durning the playback of 320x240 video the procesor usage is about 20%. You told me Minion that the intel indeo codes use little CPU power to decode. But I told you that the processing of the video is: decode the xvid, encode to intel indeo and then decode to output video which I can see. Even I tested how fast is process of compression and decompression to screen in virtual dub and i get the same framerate of the processing like in players. I tell you it is not the slow procesor problem but the stupid intel indeo codecs are loaded durning playback. If I could remove them the playback will be normal even in full screen. Maybe it's not problem of my computer but of my graphics card. It's intel740 and maybe there in it is problem, because those intel indeo codecs are connected with my graphics card. Once I succeded that in player I played the xvid video without any problems. I don't know what happens, maybe it is in my graphics card, but my friend has a 600 mhz processor and the problem is like mine. I found that when I play the divx also are they loaded and now I don't know nothing.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Your comp is too pokey to play adequately at fullscreen
    2. How exactly did you determine that the indeo codecs were loaded?

7. Bloodlord

Bloodlord Member

So I opened the xvid encoded files in media player which comes with Windows 98. It is a simple program mplayer2.exe ... and when you open the file I click on menu file and then properties, and then advanced. And there you can see what filters and codecs are loaded for playback of the file.
    There is new version of divx 5.1.1 and I can playback the xvid files without any lag even on full screen.