1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plays on computer but not dvd player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by wrongfoot, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I agree that it's a good idea to crossflash phillips dvdrw's to benq firmware, but some don't know how or are a little leary of doing so as it will probably void the warrenty. I would do so if I had a phillips drive but thats me.

I wish you well with your princo's and no name disc's. I guess you'll find out if they still play in 6 months or so, probably not.

Mort

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

...in which case we'll still be here to advice on better media choices :)

3. vonzz

vonzz Member

Yo Mort !!!

I've my philips burner since about 3 week... I'm burning DVDs since about 18 month and always on Princo disc and still have no problem ( i've burned them on a LG drive ) ...

For the crossflash and the warranty... the crossflash is a self executable within Winxp ... and you can Recrossflash it to its original firmware in case of waranty trouble ... I've tried it... Don't be worry... When I test something ... I always have an exit in case of trouble !!!

So like you said, is up to you then !!!

For the blank media ...the Princo are about only the one, at a good price, available in our store ... the other brand are the double of the price (princo cost about 1$us for 50 DVD-r)

I've just wrote to try to help some people ... Not to insult someone... But just one thing .. If the crossflash work with cheap DVD-r then it will work with brandame like Memorex, Verbatim ...

See ya !!

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

ARE you friggin serious? you can get 50 dvd-r for a single US dollar??? man, i knew princo were cheap, but DANG~!

you get what you pay for i guess...if i could get 50 discs for a dollar, then i really wouldn't care what i would put my cups/mugs on...since that's cheaper than going out and buying ACTUAL tabletop coasters~!

anything kind of media that you can get 50 for a dollar, just KNOW it's NOT going to be good quality~ :p

5. vonzz

vonzz Member

Yo !!!

I've made a little error in my last post ... 10$us for a spindle !!!

Sorry !! ;)

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Whatever works for you and your set up. They don't for most. Happy burning.

There ought to be a law against putting memorex and verbatum in the same sentence,

7. creaky

@vonzz - for punishment of recommending Memorex alongside my fave Verbatims, or recommending Memorex full stop, you should read the 2nd link in my signature :)

8. wrongfoot

wrongfoot Guest

well kivory and mort,
    i have ordered the ty dvds from meritline as per your suggestion,
    i figure if it doesn't solve the problem at least i'll still be able to use them.
    i was getting a little apprehensive when i read the recent posts from others that were using the cheap dvds and still getting good results.
    but it seems to me that it has to be something related to the quality i am using. after all i used to be able to play them in every dvd player in my house but am now limited to the computer.
    i'll let you know how it turns out.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

wrongfoot,

There are a few that can get by useing cheap, poor quality media but it is not the norm and even if the media plays ok right after it is burned it usually won't down the road.

You can get good, high quality media online for about the same price you can get poor quality media so why gamble?

Like you said, if the media isn't the problem at least you will have some good media to use anyway. Good luck and let us know.

Mort

10. creaky

@wrongfoot, as per kivory666 & mort81's comments, i have the following to add - check the 2nd link in my signature - that should help convince you :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  11. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

best of luck wrongfoot, as least by taking our suggestion if you should have any problems in the future with those GOOD quality TYs, feel free to PM me and i will give you ALL the assistance i possibly can to get you on your way, it's kinda like a "thanks" for joining my TY army~ i love converts~ down w/ CMC MAG~!! burn baby burn~ :)