1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please delete: Recommend me a Dual Layer burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by DiNZi, Feb 26, 2013.

1. DiNZi

DiNZi Member

Hi there,

I used to have an old machine that I bought a couple of Pioneer drives for and burn many Dual Layer discs, various brands without any problems, the device used an IDE connector so when I changed machines, I couldn't use it again.

The new machine I have is SATA only, the drive it came with is an 'Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7200S ATA' drive which few days ago I attempted burning a couple of Dual Layers via IMGBurn and Nero at speeds x2.4 (says drive doesn't support this speed), x4 and x6 where 5 discs failed.

I know it's not my discs as I tried a disc from the same pack on my brothers machine using a 'PBDS DVD+-RW DH-16W1S' drive and it burnt successfully at x2.4 (which this one does support). I could take his drive, but it's a bit old and sometimes doesn't want to open up, so I'm considering buying a new Dual Layer drive.

Just to have been safe it would've helped if sites could also mention the slowest speeds some drives burn at, I have a feeling if my Optiarc drive could burn at x2.4 it would've worked.

Just like some suggests on a good, reliable dual layer writer drive I can get for under £25. I don't want to be buying a drive that arrives and discs fail to burn, I would also like one that supports x2.4 Dual Layer burning which is hard to verify on most sites.

Cheers!

PS: I just realised that if you look at the Media list for the Optiarc I'm currently using, it hardly supports any brands in the Dual Layer section. Link goo.gl/bBEr0

Any known brands/drives that support majority of the brands out there? I'll be using Sony, TDK, Imation discs.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

3. DiNZi

DiNZi Member

@JST1946 Thanks for the information, I will steer away from LG then, good to hear you have had no problems with the Samsung.

Ah, I know the model of the drive you have. I don't know if any others can help out but, what is the difference between the Samsung SH-224BB/RSMS and the SH-224BB/BEBE?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013