1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please guys i need hep........

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by abhtib, Nov 18, 2004.

1. abhtib

abhtib Member

i bought an xbox...... i think it is already modded..
    i am not sure... how do i check...when i bought the vendor showed me tht it plays Vcd and Dvd.... i had checked it then... but now i cannot c either...
    i dunno wats wrong... i can play games fine .... wat do i do 2 play vcds or dvds... i am very new 2 xbox...wat else do i do with my xbox...

2. kopo85

kopo85 Member

If your xbox boots to the normal xbox dashboard (ie. The screen that says settings, xbox live, music, etc) your xbox is probaly not modded. However there are some steps, and I'm sure there are more that you can take to check. But... I'm pretty sure you'd know if it was modded.

There are two ways to check wether your xbox is modded.
    [bold]First[/bold]
    You could open up your xbox (VOID THE WARRANTY) remove the hard drive and cd drive and check for a mod chip. (This is a sure sign) If your xbox is softmodded refer to second.
    Note: Screws are located under the rubber stoper

[bold]Second[/bold]
    You could try to ftp to your xbox using a cat5 and a router/hub or directly connect to it using a cross over cable. Type in (usually) ftp://xbox:xbox@ipaddress/
    Note: This would be the preferred method!

3. fedaykin

fedaykin Regular member

why not email the vendor and ask? a lot of mods turn on using the eject button instead of the regular power button.

4. abhtib

abhtib Member

hi kopo85..... thanx a lot for your reply...
    but as i said i dont knw anything...... wat is a cat5 a router or a cross over cable.. where do i get these stuffs... ithink these stuffs are not available down here in india....... and the normal xbox tht u r talkin about... ya rite it shows up that... but when i bought it , first 2 or 3 times it used to show some other screen..
    i mean everythin was written in a normal way 1 below the other... and tht screen had many more options... but i never bothered to c it...is ther ne way tht i can get tht to c tht old screen back...

5. ph33rlus

ph33rlus Member

the simplist way to find out if its been modded is merely flip it upside down and see if the screws have been removed.

if the stickers are perfect and undamaged then its not modded, if the stickers are damaged (holes for the screws) then its modded.

chances are if you bought if from a vendor that its not. because although modifying an xbox is NOT illegal, most of the homebrew software that runs on them were compiled with an illegal copy of XDK.

put simply, it's not worth the risks for a vendor to sell modified xbox's with any extra software other than the original ms dashboard.

6. abhtib

abhtib Member

hi there...... i checked under the xbox.. it is opened( modded) and it used to show me some other screen b4.. but now its showing me ms dashboard.......

7. ph33rlus

ph33rlus Member

ok well the bios will try and load up to 4 different .xbe's when it powers up.

it totally depends on how the bios was set (they bios can be changed using a tool called xbtool)

commonly though it will try the msdashboard as a last resort if it can't find any other menu's like evox.

because the evox menu is the most popular i'll assume you had this on your box at one time.

you will need to get an autoinstaller cd and boot off it in order to gain ftp access to your xbox hard drive.

in the C drive you need the evoxdash.xbe and evox.ini files and that should get it to load the menu that you're talking about.

becuase it cant find that menu anymore, its resorting to the dashboard.

to obtain any xbox software, goto www.xbins.org and that site will explain in detail how to get the files you need.

8. abhtib

abhtib Member

hi thnx a lot for ur response...
    but this autoinstaller CD is for my xbox or for the PC.....if for a PC then how do i connect my xbox to the PC......and how do i get this cd ..

9. Gordybs

Gordybs Member

Or just look at the bottom of the xbox. you can tell if it has been opened..

10. ph33rlus

ph33rlus Member

thanks for that useful piece of info gordybs.

auto installer cd's are booted from the xbox,

as for connecting your xbox to your pc, it can be detailed and long winded.

i would suggest looking up the tutorial on www.xbox-scene.com that's where i learnt my shit