1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help a newbie

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Girl, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Girl

Girl Guest

I have trouble encoding with TMPGEnc because it says that my video source is unsupported. In the site's guide there is a way to solve that problem but it doesn't work for me. I'd appreciate your help. Anyone.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

What are you trying to convert divx to mpg??

3. Girl

Girl Guest

avi to mpg I think. This is the first time I'm doing this so forgive my ignorance.

4. Dela

forgive??? ya didn't do nuthin wrong!

I assume that you have codecs installed to view the avi??

One thing you should try is click option - environmental settings and click the "vfapi plug-in" tab. Look for directshow on the list and right click it. You can put its priority up here. Keep raising the priority until its higher than the rest. try setting it to 2.

5. Girl

Girl Guest

Thanks I tried that but still it doesn't work. Everytime I choose the d2v file from the file dialog I get the same message: File C:\*.d2v can not open, or unsupported. Very annoying. The guide on this site says I should have DVD2AVI project file loader listed under the VFAPI plug-in tab. But it doesn't appear there. Cheers.

6. Dela

7. Girl

Girl Guest

No, it didn't help :(

8. Dela

This is probably a very stupid idea but try giving the file a .avi extension instead of .d2v

9. Girl

Girl Guest

Is my computer supposed to have MMX? I mean I haven't done anyhting wrong (I think). Everytime I click on certain files it says they are missing. Thanks for your patience.
    BTW how do I do what you just said???

10. Dela

Sorry I don't think you can do what I just said, lol. Anyway, another idea would be to get a copy of DVD2SVCD and use that to convert avi to mpg.

11. Dela

Oh wait i actually meant to say more.

DVD2SVCD is a whole set of programs in one so it would have TMPGEnc and dvd2avi in it! It should work good.

EDIT:: I just thought of something! People do this all the time and its the last thing you could think of. afetr you save the dvd2avi project file, do you close dvd2avi and try to load it into TMPGEnc, If you do, leave DVD2AVI open because it is frameservering to TMPGEnc!

If that isnt your problem then try to get the latest versions of the two programs and try installing them again!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  12. Girl

Girl Guest

I'm downloading the DVD2SVCD thing now and I hope it works. I also tried downloading new versions of tmpgenc and DVD2AVI but the new version of DVD2AVI doesn't like my computer very much. It doesn't create a *.wav file, instead it creates 5 other USELESS files and still the *.d2v file won't load!!!!
    I just hope the result is worth the trouble.

13. Dela

I use DVD2SVCD for all my avi (and dvd) to vcd/svcd conversions. I use it with TMPGEnc for VCD and CCE SP for SVCD. CCE SP has very very high quality!.

14. Girl

Girl Guest

I'm going to try and convert DVD to VCD using DVD2SVCD. Could you pleeeeease tell me how if its not asking a lot??? A link to a guide is fine. Thanks.

15. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

I had the same problem with tmpgenc not opening the d2v file, so i downloaded and installed dvd2svcd, when i did this it actually sorted the problem out, just out of curiosity have u tried to encode the file since installing it?

16. Dela

17. Girl

Girl Guest

Yipee!!!!!! Its working! Finally! Actually I’m converting DVD to SVCD. Why make a VCD when you can make a SVCD? I hope it works on my DVD player! 8 more hours to go. Special thanks to you Dela ;) for all your help. By the way FIXIT, you solved the biggest problem. I used the DVD2AVI program which came with the DVD2SVCD software bundle and TMPGEnc which I had downloaded earlier. They worked together and my video file loaded! I aborted the whole thing anyway! I think the problem is with the DVD2AVI available for download alone. Probably you already know that so please try and do something about it :)

BTW I have a question: Can I turn off the subtitles on a SVCD and turn them back on whenever I like or will they be permanently there? I chose rip subtitles and then clicked on the SVCD subtitles radio button.

18. Dela

Actually no you can't unfortunately! You see the subtitles are in seperate streams on the movie files on a dvd wheras on an svcd, they are part of the movie stream so they are there permanently!

19. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure about that, dela, I think SVCD supports selectable subs, as well as two alternate languages. It is VCD that you need to burn the subs on permanently.

Why make a VCD when you can make SVCD? Well, SVCD is better quality and has more features but will often take 3 discs instead of 2. There are other methods as well including CVD (Chines Video Disc). Also, SVCD is compatible with fewer Standalones.

:)

Paul.

20. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

not exactly sure that the problem is cured by different versions of dvd2avi, when u install the dvdtosvcd software bundle it also installs codecs and udates the registry, might be worth having a look at, this seems to be the most widespread problem with encoding using this method, The reason i prefer vcd to svcd is the encoding time is faster with vcd over a 2 pass vbr mpeg 2 encode and some standalone players (ie mine lol :)) has severe audio synch problems with svcd