1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help a newbie

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Girl, Jan 25, 2003.

1. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

Ok ill have to do this from memory because im encoding right now :p
    First open virtual dub and open the avi file in the audio settings check full processing mode, and also coversion should be set to 44.1khz and compression should be set to NO COMPRESSION (PCM) then go to FILE / SAVE WAV let virtual dub do its stuff and the close it

now in tmpgenc look for the enviromental settings under the options tab under audio engine you should allready have set toolame as the mpeg 1 audio layer 2 encoder, at the bottom it also says sampling frequency convertor select USE EXTERNAL PROGRAM and browse for the folder you saved ssrc in and use the ssrc exe.
    now load your video into the main tmgenc window as normal and then load the wav created with virtual dub into the audio source field load your vcd template set the quality to HIGH QUALITY (SLOW)
    set up all other settings as necessary then hit the start button, if you get stuck ask again, ill help as much as i can,
    video encoding on a 600 mhz machine is gonna take a while but it shouldnt take anywhere near 16 hours for 60 mins of footage .

Last edited: Feb 20, 2003
  2. hagler

hagler Member

Many Thanks!! I'll let you know how this worked out tomorrow.....

3. hagler

hagler Member

Excellent!! so far so good, fixit...
    I had the movie in 2 avi's -- 60 minutes of footage took a little over 4 hrs. to encode and the other 49 minutes took about 3.5 hours..that's about what you should expect I would say..I have a couple of questions (I'm sure that's not a suprise..ha-ha)
    1) In the Setting in TMPGEnc, I set the aspect ratio: 16:9 525 line (NTSC)..this should always be the setting, correct?
    2) I now have a 615mb file and a 503mb file--is there anyway to test play these files before I burn them? (I'm waiting for my CD-RW's to arrive before I burn..my DVD only supports CD-RW)
    3)What do you personally use to burn your mpeg's? I've read the guide to burn with Nero.....I've also read a guide on Ulead....it says Ulead is better for adding chapters--is this true? Do you then add chapters with Ulead and re-save the file and then burn with Nero?? I'm not familiar....What do you recommend?
    4)What is the recommended limit on the size of an mpeg that you should put onto a 74 min. CD? 700mb?
    5)If this was one large avi file, how would you split it up into two CD's? or even three CD's?
    This is done when you burn?
    --Once again, thanks for your time and patience...and your excellent advice!! You've already helped me greatly and maybe one day I'll be able to help you- when I'm more experienced with this stuff..

4. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

Nice to see it worked, the aspect ratio depends on your source file is it 16X9 or 4x3 pal or ntsc only you will know :)
    The files should play with media player without any problems!!
    I use nero to burn as vcd without chapters, but if i want chapters in the movie i use the excellent VCDEASY , it will add the chapter points to the video , build the cd images and even burn them to cd for you
    i prefer to keep the filesize to under 650 mb but 700 is possible (i have managed 715 with over burn enabled on my writer:)) but thats with 80 min cdr's
    to split file i recommend DVTOOL, tmpgenc can split the file too but tends to screw things up
    oh and check your personal message;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2003
  5. hagler

hagler Member

One last question and I'll be ready to do more research (and leave you alone).....Is there an easy way to check the aspect ratio of the source file- just to make sure--is it listed in properties of the file?
    Also, about adding chapters, you can add chapters from an avi correct? You don't need to rip from a DVD in order to add chapters..do you? I've read something about finding the .ifo file when adding chapters...?
    VCDEasy will add chapters from an avi, encoded to mpeg1 (VCD)-as we just did--correct?
    Thank you for the personal message info....

6. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

dvd video has ifo files avi doesnt so the only thing you can really do is set your own chapter points when i do it i usually just place chapters every 5 to 7 mins, VCD easy takes the mpeg file you created with TMPGENC and builds bin/ cue image files of the completed disk then burns these image files to cd, If your writer isnt compatible then the bin cue files can be burned with nero, the latest version of vcd easy has its own media player which allows you to place chapter points by visually checking where you want them on the video,
    as for the aspect ratio there is know way to determine it from an avi file as far as i know but just by watching it you should be able to tell, 4X3 is almost a square picture 16X9 will be stretched acroos the width of the screen and squashed from top to bottom,
    ntsc or pal!! well most ntsc movies are 29 frames per second pal is always 24 (rough figures) if you can play the file in media player 6.4 (comes with win 98) right click on the file in media player when its playing it will tell you the frame rate in the properties window. to be totally honest this doesnt really matter too much as the encoded video will be either pal or ntsc depending on what template you used.
    a long winded answer I know but i hope it helps lol :)

7. hagler

hagler Member

You've helped me greatly!!!! Much appreciated--I'll keep you posted!