1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help, Before My Pc needs a Parachute

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Fir3storm, May 17, 2004.

1. Fir3storm

Fir3storm Member

ok guys, I am new here and this is my first Post, I have had a look round the forums and found a few answers which come close to my problem but not a compleat solution, So if there are any DVD back Up Gurus who could help me out I would be most Greatfull.

Software being Used -
    DVD Shrink 3.1
    Nero 6

System Specs
    AMD XP1800
    1 Gig PC 133 Memmory
    Gigabyte GX7ZE Mobo
    Lite on LDW-851s DVD RW
    Maxtor 6Y120P0 Hard Drive (8 MB Cache 7200 RPM 120 GIG)
    Samsung SV2042H 1(5400 RPM 19 GIG)
    Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 1
    DVD Player - ALBA DVD45

Problem -
    In the past I have been able to back up any film that I have tried first time everytime and had perfect copies, No Jumps, pixilation or artifacts, Full Menus extras all Subtitles Etc.

Recently My player has been giving me the Error Incorrect Disk Format,
    if on the rare occaions the disk plays, then within a couple of minuets the film jumps, freezes and I get artifacts.
    I have tried buring at 2x, 4x, UDF mode, with DVD shrink, With Nero, I have now wasted aproxamatly 10 Blank DVDs, and am getting to the end of my teather, I have tried a clean instalation of XP pro, with just Nero, and Shrink, Still the problem persists.

During the encoding and burning process the computer is untouched and disconnected from the internet.
    I havent changed my media, I have allways used Ritek Printable Media

Any Body Help before my Pc goes through the window?

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Go to device manager and check your IDE controllers. Make sure all are set for DMA. The re-install of XP may have made this revert back to PIO mode. Just a guess. Don't know if this setting would give you the disc error you are getting or not.

Jerry

3. Fir3storm

Fir3storm Member

Thanks for the replie jerry
    Well there still set for DMA access, Could it be worth me doing a test burn off in PIO mode ?

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I don't think so. It will probably just make the problem show up more. Maybe check for a firmware update for the burner.

Jerry

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What media are you using, perhaps you have a bad lot. It might also be your DVD player. Some home units will play backups for a year or more but as they get older they seem to have a hard time with them, and it gets confusing because store bought DVDs will still play. I had a Daewoo that worked for almost 2 years playing DVD+r even though it was only rated for DVD-r. To make a long story short after about 20 months it would no longer play either, but it still works with store boughts, I replaced it with a new unit and now my back ups works just fine. You can try a firmware upgrade and perhaps that will help. Have you tried to play your back ups on another DVD player? If that works I think you can expect to replace your player.

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

You said you were using DVDShrink and Nero. Have you tried DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter, no Nero?

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I use the latest DVD Shrink and Nero 6X about 70% of the time. I also use DVD Decrypter,Intervideo’s DVDCopy (bought it cheap at SAM’s club), DVD2one, and CopytoDvd to burn. In a comparison I recently did between Nero 6X and CopyToDvd using 50 each of Ritek G04 –r media, Nero left me 4 coasters and CopyToDvd left me none. Now back on topic check your Back ups with other players and see how that works.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson
    [/small]

8. Fir3storm

Fir3storm Member

Well I have Burned a Disk with the new firmware installed and am now waiting for the disk to finish the Verify Procedure.

It was mentiond that it may be a bad batch of disks, but the 2 spindles of 25 that I am currently using have been bough from the same shop over 3 weeks apart.

I have tried backups which I created when I first got the writer and they work no problems, I havent changed my media (Ritek Printable) and am still using the same software as I use to create my first backups with, So it seems strange that old backups still play but new ones wont :(

9. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Fir3storm, that's a no no. If burning you shouldn't be doing anything on your computer.

10. Fir3storm

Fir3storm Member

Flip I dont know what you mean,
    During the Burn Process the machine dosnt get touched and the internet is disconnect,

If you are refairing to the verify procuder that is wher enero checks to make sure that the data on the disk is the same as the data on the drive.

And it looks like another coaster has been created, the player is picking up that it has got a DVD in it but not getting any futher.

I will pass this disk, and the several others I have burned in the last couple of days, to a friend to test in his player.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)

Only you can determine what has gone awry with your bad burns by meticulously eliminating the variables that affect the ultimate outcome of your back ups. There are only a few parts that can be counted which includes you, then your PC (operating system), your burner, software, media, and players. What changes have you made in any of them lately? You said you did a clean install and providing it was eventless then we move to your burner and software. Did you change any of them in anway that was different than when you were getting good burns? If not, then we go to the media, one batch can be good another bad, they use a dye which can be affected by environmental variables such as being improperly stored in a heated environment. I live in Florida, trust me, DVD media doesn’t like hot delivery vehicles or letting "the sunshine in." If you are not multi-tasking while your doing your burns then I’m betting on your media being sub-standard but I could be wrong, I have been before.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson
    [/small]

12. Fir3storm

Fir3storm Member

I am using the same disks to burn Pure data disks, and not having any problems with them, as for hardware changes, the only thing I have changed is my HSF I wend from a Standard copper HSF to a thermal take Volcano 7.
    This is the only hardware change that has been made.

I am just waiting for my nieghbour to come home so I can get him to test these disk out, He will be happy if they do work as there are 3 backups of the same film :)

as for storage, the disks are stored in there original Spindle tubs, and well out of the sun light.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Can you monitor your cpu and motherboard heat? When you say the same discs do you mean same make and brand or do you mean the same batch? Have you checked your Aspi Layer? Have you defragged your hard disc, movies are large files that are copied to hard disc first and if it's fragemented and it's slowed then it could cause skips?

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Fir3storm, since nobody has done it yet, let me welcome you to our little Club -

For starters, let’s check your discs and burner with this DVD info tool -

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Get back to us with the info you gained from this -

Kind of silly, that - -Lets try doing something really wild and use RW media until we sort everything out -

To continue on, you mentioned you are running XP. Do you by chance have any Roxio products onboard (i.e.. Easy CD Creator) ?

If so, let’s rid ourselves of that - large conflict with Nero that is -

Lastly, Nero, though good is, at times, is a little “Flighty.” I suggest uninstalling it, reboot to make sure it’s “Flushed Out,” -

Use the following to clean house -

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.html

and this to clean your registry -

http://www.nero.com/en/631938356417810.html

THEN reinstall it, reboot to insure it is “Settled in” then give it another shot :D)

Get back to us with the results -

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1[/small]

15. Fir3storm

Fir3storm Member

The disks are the same make (Ritek Printable) as REFUSE to use anything else as I like to print the labels onto the DVD they are from the sam source ITL Computers near wigan who I have delt with for nearly 3 years now but are from difrent batches,

I will be installing new ASPI layers and dvd decryptor Later on tonight and creating a test burn in the morning

16. Fir3storm

Fir3storm Member

Thanks for the welcome Pete (thats a bit strange to type coz I am a Pete too :) )

I Have recently reformatted and done a clean install of xp in the vain hope of trying to resolve this problem, I would gladly use RW disks but I Dont have any at the moment, as for Easy CD I wont allow that POS software anywhere near my system as I know it causes an awful lot of problems.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(God, I love this little "Newbie.")

18. Fir3storm

Fir3storm Member

Well I finaly managed to get it sorted out, Turns out that My IDE cable had a bad connector on the end of it, changed the cable over and all is now working fine,

Thanks to everybody who offered input on this problem, your help was greatfully recived :D

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's always a hassle when one is trying to sort out a PC problem but if one trace's each step to insure that everything is working the answer will eventually present itself. Good Job Fir3sorm!