1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help! Computer makes noises at startup. Monitor wont turn on.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Drakarn, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Drakarn

Drakarn Member

Hi, I have a problem. The computer worked fine but I tried pluging in a 2nd harddrive and that didn't work. So I just took it out and left everything as it was before and turned it on. It asked me to start windows in a safe mode and I did. I did a system restore and when it finished the monitor went Black and nothing was happening. Now every time I turn it on it makes 3 beeping noises and sounds like its running but the monitor is in a stand by mode and nothing is happening after that. Please help, its very important :)

And also the computer I used to post this with also has a slight problem. When I turn it off for about an hour and turn it on its pretty quiet for about 10 minutes and then it becomes loud as hell. I think its the cooling fan, but none of my other PCs ever were this loud. Is it possible to make it quiter?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Drakarn

This is an odd one indeed. I don't think the problem is your monitor. It sounds as though you have some bad hardware, perhaps even a damaged motherboard but it's difficult to tell. Have you been tweaking anything such as overclocking?

Try this! Turn off the power and check your power and cable connections because if this started as a result of an attempt to add a new hard disk then you might not have reconnected everything securely, and then again you might have fried your motherboard. If that doesn't work then remove the system battery for about 30 seconds and then put it back in (it's a small round silver colored battery, easy to see). If you're lucky you might reset your bios settings and get a second chance. Another possibility is that your graphic card is bad or that while installing your second hard disk you inadvertently unseated it, check to see that it’s firmly placed in its slot.

Your second problem could be caused by a dirty heat sink/fan, case fan, or power supply fan. Try and clean them. If this doesn’t work then you might do well to invest in a new one of the one that’s causing the noise.

3. Drakarn

Drakarn Member

You know I tried everything you said and nothing worked, well that was my brother's computer and it was an old Pentium III, 500 mhz PC. Instead of trying to fix this one, he is just going to buy a new pc from ebay because he wanted to for a while. :/

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Drakarn

I suspected all along that his motherboard is bad because you should be able to reach the bios without a working hard disk, but anything is worth a try.

5. lite14me

lite14me Member

did you switch the jumpers back to thir origional position?
    And if you also added new sdram or ddr make sure they are in the correct slots that the original one is in it's original slot!