1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please HELP -- Confused & looking for comments/suggestions on idvd16dd

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by hdee53, Feb 26, 2005.

1. hdee53

hdee53 Member

Just purchased this burner from I/O-Magic with a nice rebate as said in my earlier thread. However, after reading this forum, I have a feeling that I would be better off returning this burner to Staple and buy the NEC 3520A, instead. (It would cost me $19 more.) Is this a right feeling?
    I don't have much experiences with dvd burner but would like to buy one with DL capability to replace my 8x Khypermedia and to burn backup copies for my children's Disney dvds.
    Many thaanks in advance
    Dee

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dee, I just answered your other thread. What a coinsidence. I bought that same drive to replace my k-hypermedia +8x KDVRW8X on my spare pc. Those backups would not play on my bedroom apex stand alone player from that burner.It did play on in the rest of my drives and stand alones.I couldn't find any new firmware updates for it.

If it was only $19 more and you play those backups on a lot of different players, I'd get the nec. I hear a lot of good things on their compatability for stand alone players. I will be looking for that or another benq 1620-both about $50-$60 when on sale at newegg.

I have a different approach, I will probably ebay this one and make a few extra bucks off of it.

When you do backup your disney movies, come on back to the dvd-r newbies or dvd-shrink forums. Lot of free programs/tools/web sites/and guides for backing up dvds with single or double layer media for free.Check out my sig,those programs do the majority of my backups.Also check out the dvd-r media forum, media quality very important for dvd burning.Do your homework on this process and come on back for any questions when you start burning.

Good Luck dee and we'll gladly welcome you to the wonderful world/sometimes pain in the butt/ of backing up dvd's.

3. hdee53

hdee53 Member

thanks very much for you response ang suggestion, Saugmon. I was not sure if my choice would be a good one; however, since you suggest that, I would buy the NEC then. One thing I am a little concern with NEC 3520A burner is, as others posted in the forum, it can perform well on Verbatim media only!
    Any thoughts?
    Dee

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Depends on which verbatim media you get. Verbatim does like the majority of other brands, different manufacturers and quality can vary. There are reports on verbatim using c-magnetics as on of their manufacturers. These are the ones to be cautious with. Verbatim data-life plus are the better ones. Some of the regular data life are checking out as c-mags. That's what we have to watch out for,those poorer manufacturers.

I have used verbatim coded: mcc-002,mcc-003,and ricohjpn-01- all pretty good on all 4 of my burners.Those manufacturer codes are what dvd burners firmware will support.I have used ricohjpn-1 from: sony +4x/verbatim +4x media life/maxell +4x/teon +8x.All 4 different brand names using the same manufacturer and they performed great. But look at those teon's, my 20 pack spindle were ricoh's, my next 40 pack of +8x were cmcmag-E01/cmags for short.They should call these crapmags for short,lol
    You just have to watch out which brand names/spindle quantities/and formats.That is why taiyo yuden are highly recommended.