1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help....disc to disc error command 52

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Grumbles, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Grumbles

Grumbles Member

This is my first post so i hope i've posted in the right place..My son brought a lite-on 8xDVD dual drive burner,thats all i know...he used it for burning...2 dvd's but when he went to use it again halfway through burning he gets this message...DISC TO DISC ERROR COMMAND 52..does anyone know what this means & how he can fix it please?

Thanks
    Grumbles

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well, without knowing what software he was using it would be difficult........what is the software he is using (I think I may know, but we need you to write it).......

Things that could be the problem, relative to 'on the fly' copying which are basic checks:

Source disc is encrypted
    Source disc is dirty
    Source disc has scratches
    Destination media is of low quality
    Destination disc is dirty
    Destination disc is not compatitble with your burner
    Reading device cannot keep up with the write device - causing buffer underruns - usually require more RAM and no multitasking

3. Grumbles

Grumbles Member

I thought about the software after posting..sorry
    He is using nero6 & sonic recordnow DX & both these programs have this error....
    disc to disc copy untitled:terminated with errors error-10@sector 16-command:55 sence:05ASC :26ASCQ:00

He just told these details & it's command 55 not 52...sorry.

he is also using windows xpsp2

any help would be appreciated
    thanks for replying

Grumbles

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If the original is a purchased DVD, it is encrypted. Both programs you listed can't copy an encrypted dvd without more help. If you still want to copy on the fly which isn't the best way to do it, you need a program like ANYDVD or DVD43. They are decrypters that run in the backgroung making the original dvd look like it has no encryption. You can download them off the software tab at page top. Most use DVDSHRINK or DECRYPTER (both free downloads) to copy dvd movies. They also can be downloaded off the software tab. Then there are guides for using these programs off the guide tab. Good luck, come back with any questions after you get everything set up.

Jerry

5. Grumbles

Grumbles Member

Thanks Jerry

Unfortunately he isn't able to download the programs as he isn't hooked up to the internet.
    I use Shrink & Decrypter, my burner is working fine :)

All i know is he is copying a copied DVD.

Thanks for your help, i will let you know how he goes.

Grumbles

PS...This is a great site, Well Done

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Ok, if its a copied DVD the encryption is already gone. Just open Nero--dvd section and click copy complete disk. Let it copy to the HD first then insert a blank when it tells you to. Use the burner drive for both steps. Make sure the original is very clean. If damaged or scratched, it will give you problems.

Jerry

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Unfortunately, unless you have a VERY good setup, 'on the fly' copying can be the cause of issues.........

Error 10's normally relate to buffer underruns.........

This can be caused by a slow machine, data collisions, multitasking, low quality media, bad drive configuration.

There are 2 ways we could approach this:
    Check and alter the configuration to an optimal setup.
    Throw some ideas/software at you for you to try.

Firstly - we could do with the specifications of your sons' machine? CPU size, Ram type and size.

Secondly - Do you know how his dvdrom and dvd burner are connected? ie-IDE channel and whether they are Master or Slave?

Thirdly - Are the drives connected with a 40 way IDE cable or 80 way (80 way is REALLY thin)?

Forthly - Are the IDE devices setup for DMA transfer or PIO Mode (Device manager, IDE Controllers)

These are the basics to look for in terms of a basic setup.

You can also do as Jerry suggested, and copy the disc to the HD first before burning, this would eliminate the buffer underrun issue, but obviously increase the overall time.
    Personally I would go for Jerry's advice first, this way if it works fine then you will have a method and know that all devices are at least capable of doing their job.

In Recordnow DX, their is a 'Global Image' function, this is similar to Nero's Image function.
    Using one of these will create an 'image' of the disc to the HD (Not file by file, but image) and then once successfully created, you will be able to burn it back using the program that you used to create the image........

Let us know how you get on.....................

8. Grumbles

Grumbles Member

Thanks for all the info...i will try & relay it to my son. He is saving it to the HD as far as i know, he installed the DVD burner himself so i'm kinder leaning towards something wrong there. I will try & find out more details about his PC, someone did mention to him about IDE Cable. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know when i find out more.

Grumbles