1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help!! External Burner Freezes During Burning

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by wmayhem, Mar 4, 2005.

1. wmayhem

wmayhem Member

Help....
    I recently purchased an external enclosure for my yamakawa DVR-Y08 dvd burner. I am using the dvd burner through a usb 2.0 hub that is connected to the usb 2.0 connection on my notebook.

My notebook is a Toshiba A75-S209 running XP Home, pentium 4, 3.6 ghz, 512mb Ram.

I also have the same dvd burner installed on my desktop and haven't had any problems.

When using the lastest versions of dvd decrypter or nero, the dvd burns the image to about 6 maybe 12 percent, then my external dvd burner's led light shuts off. Decrypter still shows the elapsed time but the remaining time says unknown and the percentage stops. Nero shows that the dvd is still burning, the timers are still counting down but the percentage stops.

Anybody know why this is happening? It seems like the burining process wants to work, but it freezes everytime.

Please help....

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Can you connect the USB directly into the notebook? It's just that the data has to go around the houses before it gets to your HD & back again.
    How did you come by purchasing a Yamakawa? It sounds like a Japanese motorcycle that has an identity crisis.
    I have just done a search. These drives are very, very cheap. That could be your problem. It may be OK for simple data burning. DVD burning could, however, call its' bluff!
    I am assuming that you are not multi-tasking & have your anti-virus turned off. Have you tried swapping your drives over?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  3. wmayhem

wmayhem Member

Hey, Thanks for the reply.

I connected the external burner directly into the notebook and disabled my antivirus/firewall software. Still did not work. I then swapped out the two Yamakawa burners, switching the one from the notebook and the one from the desktop. Both Burners work great on the desktop, but none work on the notebook. I've been using the Yamakawa to back up lots of dvd's on my desktop. It's works great on the desktop. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You may have compatibility issues with your notebook & your burners. Especially as they both work in your other PC. I am assuming that you de-frag & the usual maintenance procedures. Have you got DMA enabled on your notebook? Have you tried re-installing Nero? Not too sure about this. Willl have to sit down & have a think about it for you!

5. wmayhem

wmayhem Member

Dma is enabled as far as I checked. I did try to reinstall Nero this morning, nothing changed. I haven't defraged yet, but it is a brand new notebook.
    Just a note, I haven't tried to use the external burner on my desktop as "external" only internal. Later on i'll try using the burner on my desktop as "external" to see what happens. Thanks, let me know if anything else comes to mind.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Going to stick my neck out here but it sounds like your Laptop thinks that there is nothing going on and shutting down its Ultra connection to your burner. Check your setting on your Laptop for power saver mode, etc. and make sure that your Laptop is plugged into A/C and that it is also set to NOT shut down anything including screens, etc. Is there something in CMOS that could also close or power save a port?

Another thing, even though your burner is recognized, there still might be a problem with its jumper setting. When you installed it into its new case, did you set it as Master or Slave?

Hey Pulsar :)

The McMullins, (spelling?,) are coming to the US from England Easter weekend. You are still invited to stay with us... made room for ya here under the overpass! :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  7. wmayhem

wmayhem Member

My notebook is plugged into ac, I don't think the notebook is shutting anything down because it happens just after a few minutes, but i'll look into that more. I've tried master and slave jumpers, nothing..

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

OK, look into power settings for your Laptop, but the Jumper setting for an external Burner should be MASTER!

9. wmayhem

wmayhem Member

Doesn't seem to be the power settings either. Jumper is on master...