1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help I cant boot up!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Kulith, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Kulith

Kulith Guest

I tried to turn on my computer today just like i turn my computer on every day but its telling me that it cant boot from cddrive.

So what I thought i would do was simply press f8 and go into the Boot menu and put it back on Hard Disk, but it was already on hard disk.
    So then I pressed DEL and went into the BIOS setup setting and for some reason there it told me that the CDDRIVE was at the top of the boot order, so i changed this back to Hard Disk, but that didnt help, i still get the exact same message.

Its Telling me:
    Verifying DMI Pool Data ...................
    Boot From CD :
    Boot From CD :
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSURT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

So then I insurted my legit Windows XP Home CD and all i got was an underscore....and my computer starts making ticking noises, i think its coming from the hardrive

Now when i restart I still get the ticking noise, it gets stuck at Enabling IDE Drives so now i cant even go into the boot order (F8) or setup (DEL)

What the heck am i supposed to do!!!????

comp specs:
    Intel Pentium CPU 4.0 2.66 GHz
    250gig Western Digital Hardrive
    Geforce graphics card, i forget stats
    MSI microATX motherboard i forget stats
    250watt powersupply
    windows xp
    1gig of ram
    if you need more details about the specs i cang find them but i think the important part is that harddrive?? actually I have no idead, please help!!!

Im new here ~ if this is the wrong forum just redirect me or something

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If it's ticking, your HD's probably dead.
    Get a new one and start reinstalling, and in the meanwhile decide if your hd's content is worth paying top bucks for data recovery.

3. Kulith

Kulith Guest

That sux loads, i got ALOT of nice stuff on my hd.

A friend of mine had another idea. He said that maybe whatever boots up windows is what is corrupted, and if i stuck the hard drive in another computer as a slave i could retrieve the info off it and then reformat it. Unfortunately Im missing one of the little plastic things you stick in the back of the hard drive so its recognized as a slave, rather than a master (default).

Think this would work......¿?

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You could have a look that way, if the drive is physically ok, the other system would indeed see all the data.
    Though usually ticking hd's indicate a hardware error, but hey, trying won't hurt, if it's physically broken, it can't get much worse anyway.

The little plastic clip (called a jumper) can be found at any pc store, most of the time they'll either give them to you free or give you a bag of about 100 jumpers for 2 bucks.

5. Kulith

Kulith Guest

Is there a way I could infect the other computers hard drive if this works?? or even if it doesnt work, and i still connect it, could it in any way infect another??? is it a virus or something that cause this damage to my hard drive or what? :(

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Virus ? what are you on about?
    Your hard disk is (probably) PHYSICALLY damaged.
    As in, the motor might be dead, the bearings could be dry/gone, heads/platters damaged, misaligned, etc.
    That's my experience with loudly ticking drives at least.
    Hard disk info

But anyway, just for the sake of trying, ask your friend to download a copy of Hiren's BootCD 8.8 *it's free, tell him to google it* and burn it to a cd, then put that in your cd drive and try to boot.
    From there, try some of the harddisk tools that are on that bootcd to see if it's alive or not *a simple task, just start partition magic or something and see if it can access the hard disk at all*.

If it isn't accessible, you need a new HD.
    If it is, then you should try to recover your data the way your friend suggested, and then wipe the drive clean, reinstall windows and whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  7. Kulith

Kulith Guest

I dont see my friend till Monday so i thought id try that idea. I downloaded the file but its not an iso file, its just a bunch of folders with programs. Ive been looking before i decided to post here about it, the place http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootablecd is pretty much useless to me cause i dont understand it. How do i turn these files into an iso?? after i do that i know how to burn it.

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

check your pm's.

9. Kulith

Kulith Guest

The link I posted was a guide I was trying to follow, not where I downloaded it from. The link you gave me is exactly the same thing i downloaded and i cant burn it do a cd because it is not a .iso image file. Its just a bunch of applications. The link i posted was what i was trying to follow to create an .iso file. Maybe if you could give me a direct link to download a iso bootable image file than i could then burn to a cd...?

A while a go I downloaded SPLAX (linux) and put it on a bootable cd. I just remembered about this like 5 minutes ago and decided to try it and it worked! I booted up my computer off splax and now im writing this post in linux on my computer, the same hard drive that was ticking. Its not ticking right now. Is there a way I can explore my hard drive with linux?????

10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

The link i gave you IS for the .iso.
    Unpack once with WinRAR, there it should be at little over 71 mb.

But anyway, in splax, open Bash *command line* and use the mount command to see if you can mount the HD.

11. Kulith

Kulith Guest

err yea it is an iso file, sory about that. Duno why my other comp gave me another winrar file after i extracted it.
    Before I burn this and try this boot cd tho i want to have a go at it with linux.

The Bash *command line* is Konsole right? Im not a linux user so im not an expert here. What command do i use to mount the hard drive? I know that there is a directory called /mnt, but i need a sort-of step by step instruction here :S, or i will post this in the linux section if you want.

12. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Yes, Konsole is what i mean.
    The commmand is simply "mount /dev/[hd name here]" without the quotation marks and brackets.

13. Kulith

Kulith Guest

By "hd name" you mean like "c"? If i type that this is what my msg looks like:

root@slax: ~# mount/dev/c
    -bash: mount/dev/c: No Such File or directory
    root@slax: ~#

14. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

More like "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt" without the quotes.
    Honestly though, just burning that bootcd and simply running that at boot will be so much easier for you, you just start from it, and go to partition managers, then pick partition magic.

15. Kulith

Kulith Guest

I burned Hirnes BootCD and booted off it, i get the screen that tells me 2 options: 1) boot of hard drive, 2) start boot cd. If I click either one, the hard drive starts ticking and goes on and on.

So my last option to get any stuff of my hd is with linux....

I typed that into Konsole I get "no such file or directory" and hdb1 or hdc1 doesnt work either. My hard drive is partitioned if that has anything to do with it.

16. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Well, if hiren's bootcd won't start, and linux can't find the the HD either, i'd say it's dead.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2007
  17. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

If the drive is ticking it is cycling and not actually picking up data and i feel that making it a slave will not do anything different to it. You need to change your drive all togther. Drives have a life span and yours is done. I did the same thing to my first old computer and the drive and the whole computer i made last from 1998 to 04-05 and then the hdd said good night for good.

18. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Pssst, Borhan :
    But thanks for confirming what i said though :)

19. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

@The_Fiend

I know you said that. Like you said i was just confirming it so that Kulith knew that options for him were basically nil.

20. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I know, i was just teasing/baiting you a bit :-D