1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help im lost on what to do

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MeanMegan, Nov 8, 2004.

1. MeanMegan

MeanMegan Member

well i got a dvd burner so i could make backups and ive used it for about 3 months with the shrink and decrypter and now all of a sudden it keeps giving me errors and the most recent is a power callaboration error and i have no clue what to do now can someone please help me!?!

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi MeanMegan, welcome to aD,

A “Power Calibration Error” can be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case. Usually it's caused by poor quality media. A change in brands is generally a cure as long as it's an upward move -

Cheers,

Pete

3. MeanMegan

MeanMegan Member

well i am using verbatim now and it still wont work i changed some of my settings trying to see if it worked and it dont i just dont know what to do and im ready to give up some one told me to use firmware whats that???

4. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Firmware keeps your burner up to date. You can download firmware usually from the manufactures web site. You will have to note the brand and model number of your burner to do this successfully. If your using good quality media and update your firmware hopefully it will solve your problems but if it doesn't work Scuba Pete is most likely right on about your optical components. I listen to Pete alot cause he is very knowledgeable.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi MeanMegan,

I would rule your media out if you're using Verbatim, That's an excellent grade media :)

Let's check your ASPI Layer and, as you said, it's time to check for a Firmware upgrade -

There are some things we should check as they have a direct influence over how our drive behaves -

1. Check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -
    http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

2. Check for your ASPI Layer. If not present, get one and reinstall it, reboot to allow it to "settle in".

ASPI Checker -
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Force 1.8 ASPI Layer -

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

If you've found you need an ASPI layer OR would like some additional information about it - here you go -

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

3. Check your Drives transfer mode. It should be DMA-4, not PIO.
    Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving six CRC errors.

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager
    1. Open Device Manager
    2. Double-click IDE ATA//ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
    3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your burner is connected and select Properties. Now click the Advanced Settings tab.
    4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if available if the current setting says, "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already says, "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must "toggle" the settings. That is, change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click "OK".
    Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to "DMA if available".

OPTION: Right-click the burner and select "Uninstall" and then "OK" all prompts until the PC reboots. Upon rebooting, the PC should "find" your burner and reinstall it setting it by "Default" to DMA.

I also think that it would be a good idea to get a laser lens cleaner. Cleaning your burner's lens every once in a while doesn't hurt.

After checking and updating let's try another backup and see how we're doing -

Let me know the out come,

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  6. MeanMegan

MeanMegan Member

ok guys this is what it says for the aspi layer
    WNNSPI32.DLL N/A
    WINASPI.DLL N/A
    ASPI32.SYS N/A
    WOWPOST.EXE N/A

ok now im confused on how to do the firmware and how to do it and i dont know how to do the aspi thing
    im not a huge computer wiz when it comes to this stuff. half the time i dont know what your talking about so can you please help me sorry to be such a pain but im so so so confused on how to do this and what to do im about to give up on this darn thing
    PLEASE HELP ME!

7. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I got the power calibration error on my burner 3 months ago. From what I read, it could be due to several reasons: a dirty laser lens (which an air spray or DVD cleaner could cure), cheap blank DVD media, burner too hot (burning only after a PC startup helped me), or worst case, a dying burner. I had burned over 400 CDRs/DVDs on my burner in 1 year, so I assumed it was just time to replace it. What I tried that also worked was just burning within the first hour of bootup and burning at a slower speed setting. If that doesn't work, you may want to return your burner if it's still under warranty.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

So sorry MeanMegan,

I just noticed one of my links wasn't working, it's fixed now. You need to download those checking programs to see what you have and what you don't. Without the proper software, i.e. ASPI layer, Firmware, up-to-date drivers and up-to-date OS releases.

Cheers,

Pete

Hi DogBomb,

Sorry, but no matter what speed you're burning, burning is burning as far as your drive goes. What get's hot is your processor, - and burning within the first hour the last hour whatever won't make a difference no matter what. You need good air flow, nothing blocking the vents on your PC and your fan in good working order

When a PC overheats it freezes, the systems discribed here don't indicate an overheating problem at all -

9. MeanMegan

MeanMegan Member

Hey guys i have a new problem now i get two diffrant errors one says tracking servo error and the other one says invalid feild in cdb and i donno what to do about them eather also the box my burner came in says made by i/o magic and its a Internal 12x Dual Format DVD ReWritable Drive
    how do i find firmware for that? please write back soon some one

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

The burner comes with Firmware (an education) BUT go to the Mfgrs Home page and lQQk for your model, Firmware will be there.

I'm not sure what you have there - Did you set your region code ?

Set your region code, check your Firmware and make sure you have a wroking ASPI layer - Then give it a try -

PS. Please, PLEASE use your spellcheck -