1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help! Laptop will not go into standby any longer!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by myf, Sep 7, 2007.

1. myf

myf Member

Hi, i am starting to lose my mind... My laptop always used to go into standby mode whenever i closed the lid or left it un-attended for a while. Now it does not.. I can not even do it manually from the start menu. When i select start>turn off computer, it only gives me the option to turn off or restart. The standby button is faint and won't allow me to pick it. In my power option on the control panel i no longer have any standby options.. I have no idea what has happened. I have been googleing the problem and posting it on various sites for a couple of weeks now to no avail. No-one seems to be able to help me. Hope someone here has some ideas. Many thanks. Charlie.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Try re-installing the video drivers. That always happens to me when I re-install windows on my old Compaq(the standby button is grayish and you can't click it). After I install the GFX drivers it starts working fine.

3. myf

myf Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned that i do not know that much about computers.. Only the basics. So i went into my device manager. It says that all my devices are working correctly. Could you please elaborate on how i re-install my video drivers! Many thanks for your help. Charlie.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's all right. What company makes your laptop? I.E. HP, Compaq, Sony, etc.