1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me choose a VIDEO CARD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dvd_tim, Jan 26, 2005.

1. dvd_tim

dvd_tim Member

I am soon going to be upgrading my computer, and passing my hardware along to my wifes comp. ( her upgrades are my leftovers lol ), anyways here is what i'll have.... P4 3.0 800 FSB W/ HT, Intel D875PBZLK FMB 1.5 M/B, 1 Gig kingston pc-3200, Sony DRU-710a,
    Thats the basics, but i have no idea what to get for a video card, i need excellent dvd playback, I play a few high-end games now and then, I have always used nvidia geforce fx cards. I currently have a geforce fx 5600 w/ 256 ram and want something as good and preferably better. i don't want to spend more then 150.00 on it.
    If you have any knowledge about video cards i really need your input, and does it matter what manufacturer i use. I currently have a BFG card and really like it.
    I have never used a radeon , but would consider it, but i don't know what radeon would be as good or better then what i have now.
    And lastly, how much difference is there between a 128 Mb card and a 256 MB card. And whats the difference between a FX 5700 and a FX 5700 LE ?
    I know NOTHING about video cards obviously, please help a video card noob . !!

2. c4iscool

c4iscool Member

if your going w/ a 5700 video card don't buy the le. the le stands for lite edition, meaning a crappy 5700. The le does overclock well(i have 1) but I would go with the 5700 utlra. what differs between the cards is type of memory they use, le uses ddr and ultra uses gddr3.

3. dvd_tim

dvd_tim Member

Thanks for the info on the LE .

4. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

I would go for the ATI Radeon 9600 XT (I saw it for a 100 bucks on sale and after rebates).

It has good OCing ability and has good stats alone without OCing.

Thats my 2 cents on the video card, its up to you to decide between the ATI Radeon 9600 XT or the Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra