1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me copy a dvd!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cgmp913, Nov 7, 2004.

1. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

OK, so I don't do the extra analysis, that cuts out an hour and half. I don't do the error compensation, that will cut the encoding in half? Then for the actual burning. Its a brand new burner, fairly expensive, does alot of cool stuff such as burning camcorder to dvd, and vhs to dvd, by hooking up the vcr or camcorder to the burner. However, it is external, hooked up through USB. Am I just going to have to live with the hour and a half? It is writing at .6x, which doesn't make sense because I have a 8x/4x burner and a 4x blank sony dvd. As far as the PIO vs DMA, i'm not sure where to check that and/or change the setting. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks, Charlie

2. Vedas830

Vedas830 Guest

3. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

Also, are there any enhancements I can make to my computer to increase the speed of my burning? I currently have 384 mb of ram out of 512 maximum and an intel pentium III processesor.
    Thanks, Charlie

4. Vedas830

Vedas830 Guest

Not much
    Unless you upgrade with a new Motherboard CPU and Ram
    Or Buy a new PC

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

cgmp913,
    I don't have any idea on your movie writer. I would suggest calling or emailing the manufacturer as to why it is burning so slow.

I was going to have you check the PIO or DMA settings if your burner was internal but that only applies to devices hooked through IDE cables. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

6. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

OK, I checked and they are already set in DMA. I did recieve several CRC errors the first time I tried to burn a cd though. Is there anything I need to do? My drivers are from 2001, can I/do I need to update them?

7. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

I am obviously no expert, as many of you are, but It seems to me there ought to be some explanation for why a writer that writes at a max of 8x and a good blank dvd compatible with speeds 1x-8x only write at .6x, yes that is a . .... any ideas? I'm sorry if I'm ignorant about any of this, I'm just trying to get it to start working well and then I'll leave yall alone.

8. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

Here are the write speeds of my burner:
    DVD+R write speed
    8x ZCLV 5.5-11 MBytes/sec maximum
    6x ZCLV 5.5-8.2 MBytes/sec maximum
    4x CLV 5.5 MBytes/sec maximum
    2.4x CLV 3.3 MBytes/sec maximum
    DVD+RW write speed
    4x CLV 5.5 MBytes/sec maximum
    2.4x CLV 3.3 MBytes/sec maximum

Now can anyone explain why it is writing at .6x, 830kb/s?

9. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

Any advice?

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would call the manufacturer of your burner and explain your problem to them. As stated in previous post USB devices will not be as fast as IDE, but yours is exceptionally slow.

11. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

well I figured out why the burn is so slow, It recomends a 1.2 GHz processor, and i have Intel Pentium III processor 896 MHz. :( Guess I'll have to live with the hour and a half burn time. However, this does not explain why the encoding/analysing are so slow, as they have nothing to do with my burner

12. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

Anyone know if you can upgrade your processor from 900 mhz to 1.2 ghz? If not, I've decided I'll live with it. I'll just burn it at night so it wont matter if takes a long time to burn. Besides, I'm 17 so in a year and a half I'll be off to college and my parents will buy me whatever computer I want.

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

That slow of cpu will also cause the slow analysing and encoding times. They are very demanding processes.

The only way to up your cpu to 1.2 GB is to get a different monther board and processor and probably memory.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK, iffin ya don't mind, I would like to weigh in to backup what Vedas830 said - using a ScubaPete analogy -

Let's start thinking about this like a car, OK ? On this car you've got Grade AAA Street slicks at $499.00 a wheel guaranteed to provide maximum traction at 240MPH and will vent excess heat to keep your tire rubber under 125 degrees the same as NASCARS do, this is your new external burner. You have only a fair fuel-injection system, your 384MB of RAM (512 would be better) BUT, your engine is a 4-cylinder that came out of a Chevy Cavalier, yep, that would be your Pentium III, 896 MHz processor.

I'm sorry but your Pentium III, 896 MHz processor doesn't have anywhere near the "Go" that the rest of your car is setup for.
    A very good friend of mine is running a Pentium III also, a bit slower than yours and it takes him 8 + hours to do a DVD. Your current times are right in line.

That's it, plain and simple. If you wish to settle for a fair quality, do what has been suggested, "Un-tick" both the Deep Analysis and the Quality Enhancements.

Your DMA is fine.

Other issues, what speed is your USB ? If it's not 1.something, then you need a card to get it to a 2.0. Anything less is choking your information flow.

Next, Go to "Start", "Run", type in, "msconfig", click, "OK". If you are running XP, go to the "Startup" tab and click "Disable all", then "Apply", then "OK" and the "OK" to reboot. All the programs that were there are running in the background and taking resources from your processor. If you are running older, slower OS then leave "My Computer" and "Explorer" and "Systray" alone and un-check everything else.

That is and will be the fastest you're ever going to get with that system. You write at 6X (hard for me to believe you're doing that fast) because you aren't processing, and then giving information any faster to your burner.

It's your choice to do it or not -

Cheers,

Pete

15. brobear

brobear Guest

cgmp913
    To put it simply, DVD recording requires a lot of system resources your PC just does not have. Remember, this is a lot more than just burning a CD. The technology is fairly new and was built around the newer, faster, high performance, high capacity PCs.

Anything less than a P4 with 512MB RAM with a CPU less than 2GHz is going to suffer. Also remember that big hard drives are better. I always advise if at all possible to have 15GB free HD space for recording and another 5 so the system has room to operate. That 10 to 12GB requirement can get crowded with big movies, plus you still need space for the system to operate. A 40GB HD is small if you have much on the HD and an 80GB is a decent starting size.

Getting DVDXCopy would be no help. I've heard people run the XCopy down; I had only one problem, which tech support helped me fix. I got my money's worth out of it. However the reason not to purchase it is because the 321 Studios is bankrupt and other than the forums, there isn't much support. Another problem is if you live in the US, sales of the app is illegal.

Changing programs helps very little. Sometimes Decrypting, say with DVD Decrypter and then using an app to transcode and burn can take some strain off the system by doing one step at a time. But that is just a work around. [bold]The most complaints and problems I've seen have been from using PCs with not enough system resources.[/bold] So, I'm just agreeing with those that are telling you the same.

With the low cost of newer units, it makes more sense to buy an up to date PC than sink money into an older unit that can never be up to par with current equipment.

Another thing to think about is laptop versus desktop. For the labor intensive work and heat generated by the CPU, the superior cooling of the big case wins hands down. I'm just saying that due to design limitations, laptops aren't best for DVD recording. So a good idea would be to keep your current PC for portability and get one of the newer desktops to do the heavy work. Besides, desktops are cheaper than laptops that have comparable computing capacity.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hats off to Pete and brobear. Very well stated and explained.

17. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Well I guess that getting all the particulars will be my first aproach to helping anyone with a problem from now on. Or trying to anyhow.

cgmp913,
    I'm glad you figured out why it was taking so long to backup your DVD's. Glad to hear your folks are gonna spring for a new PC for ya when ya move out. I guess its a goin away present for them.LOL
    Goodluck,
    HW.

18. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Hey Hally I must be catching up with you cause they got me on fiber now.

19. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

As far as enhancements without upgrading with more RAM and a faster processor, you could defrag your hard drive and free up more space on your hard drive (not only for the decrypted files but the image file to burn). And make sure you close any unneeded background programs (screensavers, virus programs, etc.) before burning given that you're already short on RAM.

20. dazila

dazila Regular member

bit late but how did it work out ? did u upgrade ur laptop if you still got it and still strugling ur p[c can take up to a 1.4ghz pnetium 3