1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me figure this out!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Genetic13, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Genetic13

Genetic13 Member

I'll admit that I'm new to this encoding thing but I have tried everything I've read on this site and others and I can't make it work. Here's the problem; I downloaded an AVI file from a friend and wanted to turn it into a VCD. First I cut it in half with VirtualDub and both AVI files created still worked fine, but when I try to encode to VCD with Ulead DVD Moviefactory or TMPGenc the audio simply doesn't work right. It's off by about 10 seconds. I've tried VirtualDub, and NanDub to try and fix this problem and I just can't figure it out. When I tried to skew the audio file and synch it with the video it starts out in synch but soon falls out. What am I doing wrong here? When I open the file in VirtualDub it tells me that a VBR audio stream is detected and I need to decompress the audio stream to WAV and then recompress with a contant bitrate encoder 139.8 +/- 35.3. Well I tried that too but I'm not so sure that I'm doing it right. Anyway I've tried to figure this out on my own for 5 days straight and cannot get this particular AVI file to work. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I just know this is possible and don't want to give up. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Why you trying to split the file in the first place before you encode. that is usually left till after the encoding, makes more sense that way!

3. Genetic13

Genetic13 Member

I've tried the entire file before as well and the audio was still off from the video. I split it to test it more quickly and because I only have a CD-R burner right now and wanted to watch it on my stand alone DVD player, which would take two discs. I am still new at this and would like any help you could give. Thanks.

4. Dela

Well when u tried the full file, had you seperated the audio from the video before encoding??

5. Genetic13

Genetic13 Member

No I didn't. I really don't understand why I would have to do that. This is a bit more complicated than I thought it would be. Please do me this favor if you can, just tell me step by step what you would do with a 700Mb AVI file to get it to work as a VCD. What programs you would use etc...Thanks.

6. Dela

Well firstly what I would do is decompress the audio with VirtualDUB. I would open the file in VirtualDUB and...

1. Click Video - Direct Stream Copy.
    2. Click Audio - Full Processing Mode.
    3. Click Audio - Compression, Select No Compression PCM and click OK.
    4. Click File - Save As AVI.

The avi I would save would have decompressed audio. I would then open TMPGEnc, First I would click Option - Environmental Setting. I would click the VFAPI Plug-in tab and I would right click DirectShow Multimedia FileReader and click Higher Priority until it is 2. Then I would Click ok and click file - Project Wizard. I would select the VCD template for me (For example, NTSC for North America and Japan and PAL for Europe and Austrailia) click Next, then click browse beside video source and load the AVI I just created with VirtualDUB.

NOTE: If it wont open the file, Then change the DirectShow FileReader priority back to -1.

If all went well I would then set my aspect ratio. If there are black bars on the video stream, I would change The Aspect Ratio from 1:1 to 16:9 (NTSC or PAL), If there are no black bars, Change either 4:3 NTSC or PAL.

Then click next and tick source range. When it comes up, I would, click "move to start frame" and click "set start frame" then click "move to end frame" and click "set end frame". I would then click OK and click other settings.

Under Video I would change Motion Search Precision to "Highest Quality (Very Slow)" then click advanced and change Video Arrange Method to "Full Screen (Keep Aspect Ratio)" then click OK.

Then clicking next would show me how much disc space it would take but thats not very important at all so I would just click next and skip past it. Then choose what you want the .mpg output filename to be and click OK. That will then start the encoding for you!

Hopefully that will help, if it doesnt then I will show you how to setup an external audio encoder with TMPGEnc to attempt to keep the audio in sync!

7. Genetic13

Genetic13 Member

Thank you thank you thank you! I now have a successful Mpeg file. I really appreciate your help, but I now have a problem which is kind of wierd to me. The Mpeg file plays on the computer perfectly. After spliting the file with DVtool I found that when I burned it to VCD the first half worked with very little skew but the second disc/half was off by a few seconds. Do you have any suggestions on this one? Maybe a better splitter or burning program that you would use? Hope you can help! I burned it to CD-R with MGI Videostream 5.

8. Genetic13

Genetic13 Member

Yes! I tried it with Nero and both parts of the Mpeg are in synch! I don't know why but who am I to argue. I want to thank you again for your help.

9. Dela

It's no problem mate :) so is everything working fine now?

10. Genetic13

Genetic13 Member

Yeah, everything seems to be working fine now. Do you know why burning it to disc with Nero would work but Ulead Moviefactory and MGI Videostream skewed the audio? No biggie just curious. By the way I would like to show my appreciation by donating a little mula to this site if you accept them that is. See ya!

11. Dela

Of course donations are always welcome but it isnt my site at all ;-)

And did you have Ulead do any re-encodinmg at all??

12. Genetic13

Genetic13 Member

Well, I tried to burn it to CD-R with Ulead first and it was still a few seconds off but when I gave Nero a try it worked just fine. I wish I knew why that was.

13. Dela

hmm ah well, just ulead software works for soime, not for most ;-) lol