1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please, help me!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cehannon, Jan 18, 2005.

1. cehannon

cehannon Member

Okay so I recently got a upgraded computer that now has a dvd burner and I have a bunch of movies that I have downloaded and would like to burn. But I have read over many of the guides and also many threads on this forum and have yet to figure out how I can do that. Many of the movies I have are two seperate files and I've read that you need to join the two together but I can't find any decent program that does that for free. Also, I tried using nero to burn them without joing the files together but it did not work. I think it may be the file type of the movies that are not supported so I don't know what to do. The files are mpeg-3 and I'm not sure if you have to convert those to just plain ol' mpeg or not. Can someone help me out and maybe suggest some good basic programs that could help me out throughout the whole complicated dvd burning process. :) Thanks

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  2. cehannon

cehannon Member

Just bumping my own thread. :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  3. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

Okay,
    I noticed that key word or yours, which is "free." Free is a great thing, but it does not always get you great results. When I am trying to convert mpeg, avi, etc. to DVD format (which is in the form of Vob files, which you really need to have), I use DVD Santa. This program can convert almost anything that you could desire. The problem is that it does cost around 25 dollars. It has a trial version that you can use for a while, but those do always run out... Get this program. It is a one step burner, but it also pairs with other programs that allows for advanced menu construction (such as DVD Lab, something else you should consider). The santa will convert and join your files into one file and then burn them onto a DVD that will have no menus, and random chapters. DVD Santa is what you are looking for, so just make the investment.
    If you need any help running it, just let me know as there are not many guides on this program.

4. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the format of retail DVD's in MPEG2?

VOB stands for DVD [bold]V[/bold]ideo [bold]Ob[/bold]ject. It is basically one of the core files found on DVD-Video discs and contains the actual movie data.

Basically VOB file is just a basic MPEG-2 system stream -- meaning that it is a file that contains multiplexed MPEG-2 video stream, audio streams (normally AC3 format) and subtitle streams.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You say you tried Nero? So if you have Nero I would suggest usin NeroVisionExpress this wil convert and make a DVD out of just about any format for you.

6. cehannon

cehannon Member

Thank you to those who responded. I really appreciate it. I've been trying to figure this out for a while and hopefully I'll be able to figure it out with your help. So, I took your advice for trying DVD Santa. Right now, the program says that it is encoding the movie but is it supposed to take so long? Is there some way I could speed it up or is that just the way it is? Anyways thanks again.

7. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

Yeah, the Santa will take about 30 minutes for a 30 minute cartoon (it would be longer for non-animation). That is for my computer at least...

To Weirdo007...
    I am know that the final format of hte DVD is mpeg 2. However, I have dealt with many files that were labeled mpeg 2, but still did not work. That is why I always run it through the Santa. Many personal video recorders on computers still record in mpeg 1, by the way. I am not sure if the mpeg format changes when the final copy is put out, or even if the extensions on the file might change, but the Santa always works whereas many other mpeg2/video converters have not.