1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help! Music Is Stuttering

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by db62, Jan 20, 2008.

1. db62

db62 Member

Hi
    I just got a Linksys "N" Router. I have my main desktop computer hardwired and my two other desktops are wireless "N". All are running Windows XP. I had it set-up by a computet tech and everything works great, EXCEPT...

The two wireless desktops are Dell AMD Dual Core computers with 2 gigs of ram, but it has an integrated sound card. When I play my MP3's or any CD's from these computers (even just from their OWN hard drive or CD player, NOT streaming them from the hardwired computer), whether it's through Windows Media Player 10 or 11, Winamp, I-Tunes, VLC...any player, there is a stuttering of my music. It happens probably twice in each song and lasts about one or two seconds each time, but it is very annoying.

When I disable my router and wireless network, It DOES NOT happen at all. I have googled and re-searched this and found that there are many problems with mostly Dell computers that have the integrated sound card (Sigma-Tel) when using windows media player 11, but almost 95% of the complaints are with the VISTA operating system and there are fixes and work arounds if you have Vista.

All my drivers are updated, I have tried many other media players, tweaked the media player settings as described in those threads, but still nothing!!! Have any of you had or heard of this trouble with Windows XP and if so, how did you solve the problem? Would a seperate sound card (Soundblaster)fix this problem at all? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

2. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

It could be an issue with IRQ conflicts. If for example your sound card and network card (wireless or wired) share the same IRQ's then you could have a problem like this.

I am sure you can either assign your IRQ's in the bios, and maybe change some within device manager, but if you are using a motherboard which supports the ACPI Hardware abstraction layer, it will probably hand all control of IRQ's to the O/S.

Have a tinkle with your bios and windows device manager after checking on google for how to "change IRQ's".

Let us know how you get on.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

He may want to tinker with it, but he sure doesn't want to tinkle on it. :)

4. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

I guess it all depends on what "floats his boat"! lol