1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help-Tired of Making Coasters!!!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by erik1213, Apr 8, 2004.

1. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

Ok, I have a Pioneer DVR-103 DVD-RW burner. It doesn't work normally. I put in a blank DVD-R made by Imation, Fuji, Sony, or Verbatim(tried all) and only about every other disc will burn...sometimes every 2 discs will burn. I have tried burning with different programs...Nero 6 Ultra, Roxio Easy Media Creator 7, and even DVD Decryptor. Actually the only ways i have even successfully burned a DVD is by creating what i want to burn into an ISO file.

Can anyone help me?

My computer specs are:
    Laptop
    AMD Athlon 1500+
    256MB Shared Memory
    40GB Hard Drive
    Windows XP Pro

I have my burner connected to my laptop via USB 2.0. Although this is not in external burner I bought an external adapter for it and that is what I use. I don't believe that is the problem though because when i put the drive in my sisters desktop it does the same thing.

HELP!!!
    Thank You

Edit: I have the latest firmware also.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi erik, First thing to do is get rid of any software by Roxio. Uninstall it completely and reboot. It may be a good idea to un-install Nero too but then re-install Nero. Roxio has a way of causing problems with other software. Then download DVDShrink and read or print the guides(its free).Shrink and Nero is about all you should need to burn a backup of a DVD movie. Your burner working through USB 2 should be OK. Make sure you don't have anything running in the background when burning a dvd and don't multi task.

Jerry

3. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

I don't have them both installed om my laptop right now. I only have Roxio installed. With Nero, I was never able to burn a single DVD. I don't use my burner for just DVD-Rips either, I mean everything I have tried to burn.

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

You didn't say why the burns failed, buffer underruns or some other problem?
    Are you sure that your laptop is Hi Speed USB 2.0? The USB 2.0 spec actually allows for 3 speeds so unless you are using the Hi-Speed USB 2.0 you are not much better than USB 1.1. I have seen this cause a lot of confusion, people think that USB 2.0 is always the high speed when it is not in all cases.
    From Intel's USB 2.0 FAQ:
    There is a difference in Hi-Speed USB and USB 2.0. The difference is that the USB 2.0 Specification covers all three speeds 480 Mbps, 12 Mbps, and 1.5 Mbps. "Hi-Speed USB" refers to just the 480 Mbps portion of the USB 2.0 Specification.

5. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

Actually my laptop doesn't have usb 2.0 but i bought a pcmcia usb 2.0 adapter. When i burn the "prevent buffer underrun" box is always checked in any program i use.

As far as why the burns failed, i'm not sure. There are some error messages that appear when i try burning with roxio and dvd decrypter. I will try to post them as soon as possible so i can acquire the best help possible.

Thank You!!!

6. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

Here is the error i get in DVD Decrypter:

I/O Error!

Device: [0:0:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-103 1.90 (E:)

CDB: 2A 00 00 00 02 60 00 00 10 00
    Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 608 - 623

Reason: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Any suggestions? I'll get the Roxio errors up tomorrow. I'm tired and going to bed.

7. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

Unfortunately i cannot post the exact Roxio errors but i can reacall a little bit.

Something about the Device reset power button being pressed or something like that.

I know its not much but any help would be grateful.

8. Xian

Xian Regular member

The semaphore timeout period message means that it has lost communications between the devices. Since it does the same thing on your sisters computer I would suspect the external box you have the pioneer housed in or a connection in it. Can you try installing it in a desktop without the external box and see if it works properly?

9. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

My sister's computer is a desktop and i did try it without the external adapter.