1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help? What I've done to my Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by lozu, May 6, 2010.

1. lozu

lozu Member

I was having to much fun at that time by trying to converting my Ubuntu to Mac OSX Leopard.

When I converting, I followed that website and do step-by-step. Downloading programs and change icon and themes.

Then suddenly my computer just freezes on me. I tried to restart, I can still login t my account. The taskbar at both top an bottom start to move up and down. Volume Control, Start Button Thing was missing, User name thing also missing. I can not nter any applications. When I tried to mount my hdd or plug in a USB, it just close the window and hide the desktop icon itself, that doesn't stop the move up and down.

I tried in safemode, still bounce. Terminal, sudo can not connect to internet. Re-install, fail! Damn Small Linux, can't mount, pretty much same as Ubuntu.

What I should do? Anyone could help, would be great!
    I don't want files missing, if possible.

2. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

ubuntu is linux.. mac os-x is unix.. you screwed up so forget os-x which is proprietary garbage (if you want to run unix try one of the BSD's) and pick something open and free..

as for your problem.. you have broken your kernel modules related to the nic. by the sounds of it you have broken it all beyond feasable repair.. reinstall and forget os-x skins.. linux has far better user interfaces.

backup your /home directory and then do a full reinstall.. or you could try reinstalling X and whatever desktop environment you use. BTW.. very often root is blocked from internet connectivity unless it's by design of the admin.. oh yes.. sudo is a command not a program./. why is that "trying and failing" to connect to anywhere?.. log in as root PROPERLY if you need to work as admin for a while.. chances are it's all screwed.. why do n00bs try these stupid things?? osx skinning.. pointless.. and chances are that guide is 100% specific to ONE users system setup and version.. and won't work for ANYBODY else...

sudo su-
    password (that makes it root perm)

mv /home/user /somewhere/home/user .. which will keep your data away from the reinstall process. Guess you will have to learn some proper linux console commands instead of n00buntu gui all the time.. puppy will let you do all this from a live cd environment.. dsl is obsolete.

3. lozu

lozu Member

Thanks, is CentOS are linux? Because I have to get Linux kind of platform to get all files backed up to my 8gb usb. I do not want to install something that are going to erase all my data or even damaging boot.

I also wants to try Win 7 with new partition. By the way, can Win 7 see my ububtu hdd. If not I'm screwed, unless someone come up a better way of doing it.

4. Schmick

Schmick Member

Eww, why would you want to make something look like a crApple product on purpose?

Windows probably won't recognize and mount the partitions that Ubuntu is installed to. But it *will* happily let you delete the partitions and format over the top of them if that is what you meant. My Engrish isn't as good as it used to be.

5. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

stuff win7 fukkin spyware riddled bloatware garbage.. try some nice clean software patent free debian.. bet you will like.. make it how you want.

6. lozu

lozu Member

My mum planned to by apple, I not sure which are the best. So I thought install would be nice. Anyway i'm now running DSL for the moment until I get windows 7. By the way, I find out what happened to the bar, before I actually install DSL. The last thing I did is went as root, then enter my Filesystem. I removed all the file to garbage, then the bar is missing. That when i know the bar was currupted.

Thanks Paula_X, I will try to download debian if win 7 sucks. I like Ubuntu kinda of look, so i will stick ith DSL for the time being...

Thanks for your help, guys. I have learned my lesson, 'NOT TO MESS AROUND WITH SYSTEM32, FILESYSTEM, ETC, UNTIL I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING OR CREATE ANOTHER PARTYTION'

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

lol..linux is not windows in reference to your last paragraph about syst32

For noobs like you & me it's best to use the synaptic package manager to download themes for that specific linux distro,if you want to try something with a bit of bling out of the box & is user friendly you'll most probably like pclinux os e17,i'm using it right now,it's pretty sweet very much like puppy only with gloss even has animated wallpapers,i was going to post a screenshot in the thread that varnull started a while back but can't find the dam icon for it..lol..will need to read the help file

.........................................................................................

Gidday varnull another name change i see :p can't for the life of me think what gave you away :p

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. 4g63evo

4g63evo Member

ubuntu is awesome.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

it's just one of many,websearch for distro watch

10. lozu

lozu Member

I've fixed it already, thanks for your help guys.
    My best friend of mine burn a copy of Linix Mint for me and worked.

Oh, what happened to Paula_X? Dose any one here knows? Is Paula_X alright!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

she'll be back..lol