1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with burner quirk....

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by chopatha, Mar 7, 2005.

1. chopatha

chopatha Member

I aborted a burn in Nero yesterday after which it froze and made all sorts of noises the next time I tried to burn. I've restarted, done a defrag, virus scan and now when I go to burn it comes up "disc tray empty, insert disc" when there's already one in there. I've tried different discs and a different burning program (Power2go) with same results. Worried I killed my burner. Please help, could this be some kind of setting/port problem? I've used this burner for nearly a year with no problems at all, although I've never aborted a burn before...

2. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Try uninstalling/deinstalling the burner. Canceling a burn project shouldn't mess up your burner, unless you just like shut down your pc or put it on standby without letting it finish it's process (it just can't stop automatically).

3. chopatha

chopatha Member

It froze after abort and task manager couldn't shut down so I turned off power. When I restarted it was still stuck on the 7% burning it got up to when I aborted and froze again. Again Task manager couldn't shut down so I again turned off box. Thanks for your reply will try re-installing and let you know how that goes.

4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Ouch. That could hurt. Definitely try uninstalling/reinstalling. Also, NEVER try to end the burning process with Task manager (that could do harm as well).

Expect anything. You might just have to get a new burner.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Here's how to uninstall a drive:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

You may want to reinstall Nero as well if uninstalling the drive doesn't hep.

6. chopatha

chopatha Member

Ok, thanks guys for your advice. I've re-installed both the device and the IDE and it came up "device not working", "installation error" on the IDE installation and can't install driver. I tried to open a data disc on it and it came up with the usual "disc tray empty" so I think it is dead. The good news is it is still under warranty and I've contacted Mitsubishi and they're happy to replace it with a new one if I send it to them with Proof of purchase receipt. Now where did I put the receipt.....

7. chopatha

chopatha Member

Oh yeah, another detail I omitted was that when I went to re-burn the burn I aborted, I forgot to put a new blank in. I get the feeling this may have had something to do with Nero/burner dying as that was when it made the disagreeable noises. Thought I'd add this to complete the whole process of what actually happened. Thanks a heap for your help, this is a fantastic site! If only I could find that receipt!

8. Nephilim

Fingers are crossed hoping for a found receipt! :)

9. chopatha

chopatha Member

I don't know if it's just my computer or what but I am having all sorts of burning probs. Ok, I killed the internal cd burner(E:\), but I also have an internal dvd rom (D:\) which is what I use as the source drive and I have an external NEC dvd burner(F:\). So I decide to copy disc a few of my back-ups I've made and it burns fine but when it comes to verifying it got stuck on 1% (for 25 mins) and when I opened task manager to see if it was running, task manager froze too. So I disconnected the F drive so I wouldn't kill it also and shut down. It's gotta be Nero - should I un/re-install it too? And how do I do that when all my updates came off the net? I have original installation disc but there's been a heap of updates since OEM Suite. Can I open Nero in Program files and burn onto a disc - will that work properly? Thanks for the crossed fingers - I'm hoping to get a duplicate receipt from the e-bay seller.

10. Nephilim

Reinstalling Nero can be a very good thing as well as downloading and installing the very latest updates. Sometimes Nero will get in a funk and not want to operate correctly but a reinstall usually solves that.

11. chopatha

chopatha Member

I really appreciate all your good advice and it all seems to be working ok now. I sorted the receipt\warranty problem too, so it's all good!

12. Nephilim

Excellent news! Happy burning :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  13. Titmus

Titmus Member

[REMOVED]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  14. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Titmus, I hear someone coming for you....Check the doors and windows....

15. Nephilim

@ Titmus

I highly suggest you read the forum rules before doing something as dumb as offering pirated games again. Posting email addies and multiposting the same question are also against forum rules.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005