1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with getting perm. subtitles on MPG or AVI

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by sonicracr, Apr 21, 2005.

1. sonicracr

sonicracr Member

Hello everyone... I'm new here and have been poking around just now and what an awesome website with tons of info! I hope I'm posting this in the right forum... I think I am...

I need to do somehting kind of specific I was not able to find pertinent info on after doing a couple searches. So here's my situation:

I use SmartRipper to rip a Region 1 DVD I have of a Japanese Anime... and what I basically want in the end is an MPG or AVI file with Japanese audio, and permanent English subtitles... I have played with all the settings in smart ripper and am able to get all the VOB's (though I have no idea what to use VOB's for directly)... so then I use MPEGMEdiator to use the IFO file, and all these VOBs I know nothing about, to make one MPG or AVI of the movie... Well I did this all and after waiting for all this encoding time I get the movie file with Japanese audio, but NO subtitles at all. I've played with all possible configurations of SmartRipper, so could this be a limitation of MPEGMediator?

If I have my DVD's VOB and IFO files, is there any freeware I can use to take those (since I'm guessing one of these main files has the english subtitles in it?) and get them all into one mpg or avi with japanese audio and english subtitles?

I hope that all makes sense and I hope to find some help here. I'm pulling out my hair in frustration :) Many thanks!

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I am not able to add subtitles into a DVD. I can encode parmanent subtitles into a (S)VCD movie.
    I suggest you to try the method explained in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_to_vcd_with_subs.cfm .

Otherwise you'd have to:
    2.1) convert VOB --> MPG using http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm (VCD)
    2.2) encode permenent subtitles into the MPG. Using FFDShow + TMPGenc, you can do it at 1st step http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/divx_to_vcd.cfm

You could also, once you have a VCD MPEG-1 movie, transform MPG --> subtitled AVI with VirtualDub.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  3. sonicracr

sonicracr Member

Thanks for the reply... I can get to the MPEG-1 part, with JApanese audio and no subtitles. I prefer to NOT use TMPGNC or whatever its called as I have tried it once before and it is just a little too advanced for me :(

So I do have VirtualDub, and have used it just a couple times but I think it looks like a great program... Could you be so kind as to give me a step by step for how to get this MPEG I have into an AVI with subtitles using VirtualDub?

Thanks SO much!

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Alas, this subject is a little hard. Could you PM me an e-mail address capable to receive a compressed , but 3 MB large guide?