1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with install!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by rsbackup, May 19, 2003.

1. rsbackup

rsbackup Guest

Hi, I am a newbie to modding and I have been having some problems installing a x-ecuter 2 lite. First I installed the chip only to have green and red flashing lights after I powered my xbox up. Then I found that I made the mistake of pluging the ribbion cord in the wrong way. Fixed that and the green/red flashing lights went away, but then green and orange lights started flashing. I figured that might be because of a bad 'do' point connection. went back and soldered the 'do' to the back side of the mobo, booted up and a message appeared saying that my xbox required service, but when I take the chip out the console works as retail. I have tried 2 different chips.....same thing .....any suggestions?!

2. Drew224

Drew224 Regular member

3. rsbackup

rsbackup Guest

yes I understand that, but when I re-soldered the do the xbox booted but then stated it required service...
    thanks, ryan

4. Drew224

Drew224 Regular member

From my experience the requiring service is usually just something like, you forgot to connect the hard drive or something simple like that. If the DO is good and something else is wrong with the soldering job you get a FRAG.

5. rsbackup

rsbackup Guest

is there a specific way to plug in the ribbon into all 3 ports, would you suggest using a multimeter to test points?

thanks for the help Drew, ryan

6. Drew224

Drew224 Regular member

What is this ribbon you keep talking about? I thought you had a lite. The only reason you would have to plug in a ribbon cable is if you had a pro. If you do have a lite I wouldn't worry about hooking up a programmer while it's inside the xbox. There are easier ways of flashing the lite. If you do have a pro, I'll have to refer you back to more tutorials. Cause I haven't installed any yet. All my experience is with Lites.

Last edited: May 20, 2003
  7. rsbackup

rsbackup Guest

sorry, I should have explained further. The ribbion I have been refering is the cords connecting the mobo, disc drive and hard drive. what I was asking, is there a specific way have pluging that cord back in after install, I can't remember what it looked like before I removed it, I do know that the red stripe musr face the power on the HD, but beyond that i have no clue.

P.S. there is no reason to flash x2lite, right?

thanks again, Ryan

8. Drew224

Drew224 Regular member

There should only be one way to put all the cords in. The IDE cables have a little square dealy that only let it go in one way and power cords are shaped to only allow one way of putting it in.
    And you are going to have to flash using Ozxflash.

9. rsbackup

rsbackup Guest

ahh i see.....thanks for the info. Do you know of any solid resources for flashing, any vital info I should know before sttempting to flash?

thanks again, ryan

10. Drew224

Drew224 Regular member

Here are the instructions I used...

X2 Lite with Cromwell v1.8 Flashing Procedure.

Follow these instructions on how to flash an X2 Lite thats preloaded with Cromwell v1.8 bios.

X2 Lite with Cromwell v1.8 Flashing Procedure.

Follow these instructions on how to flash an X2 Lite that’s preloaded with Cromwell v1.8 bios.

-First of all you will need two CDRW's that your Xbox can recognize. I recommend using verbatim 650mb CDRW or Sony 650mb CDRW both of these have worked fine for me.

-Second you will need the OZX Flash software. Download off of our site.

-Third you will need X2 Bios Manager and the 256kb bios you want to flash onto the X2 Lite.

Open X2 Bios manager and import the same 256kb bios image you want to the 4 banks (256, 512, 768, 1024) You can add 2 different bios to X2 Lite also by adding the first 256kb bios to the first 2 banks (256, 512) and then adding the second 256kb bios to the last 2 banks (768, 1024). Once you have imported the bios images to the banks select the SAVE icon on top to save the image as "bios.bin". This will save the 1mb bios image you need to flash the X2 Lite.

Burn the ozxflashcd.iso to the first CDRW with Nero by "creating cd from an image file". Burn the bios.bin onto second CDRW with Nero as a "Data CD".

Install your X2 Lite and pull the flash protection jumper off.

Boot the Xbox console up. You will see the Cromwell v1.08 screen and your DVD tray will open.
    Insert the first CDRW that contains ozxflash. The Xbox will read the CD and load ozxflash software.
    Wait a minute and let it load the Linux software from the ozxflash. Follow the directions on the screen, at one point it will eject the tray and ask you to insert the cd containing the bios.bin, insert the CDRW with the bios.bin and let the Xbox close the tray on its own.

Linux will find the bios.bin on the CDRW and start to initialize the flashing procedure. "DO NOT TURN OFF OR EJECT THE DVD TRAY" You will see the erasing procedure start and then the flashing procedure. Linux will then eject your DVD tray so you can remove the CDRW and shut down your Xbox console.

Reboot the Xbox console with the new bios on the X2 Lite.

Written by http://www.modchip-mechanics.com

P.s. I sent you a private message.

11. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

I am also a newbie.. and I thought the X-ecuter 2 Lite mod chip DID NOT need to be flashed. I thought it was supposed to play backup games, all you had to do was install the chip and play! Thanks!

12. MaxBern

MaxBern Guest

I have the Matrix chip but with the same problem. Flashes red and green and shuts off and on three times.

It turns out it was my bios. I re-flashed with Evox 2.5 Blue and now my machine starts up and the x is blue.

...but it still tells me it can't play the CD-RW or the DVD+RW I tried. Any suggestions?

13. Drew224

Drew224 Regular member

To the first guy, it does come preflashed with the crappy Cromwell bios. It will only allow you to load Linux. So, you use a Linux program, Ozxflash, to flash it with a better bios. Any bios that allows you to do something like play backups is illegal. So, they do it this way to remove all blame from them selves and so Microsoft can't have them shut down.

To the second guy,I need to know more about what you are doing. Are you burning xbox .iso's or just trying to use data discs? I recommend using Memorex 4x CD-RWs. The xbox dvd drives are very picky and I've had no trouble with these.

14. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

So in the case of flashing the bios, I installed the X-ecuter 2 Lite and popped in a backed-up game and it worked for about 2 days then it quit working. If I haven't flashed the bios should it have even worked? And now will I have to flash the bios to be able to play a backup game? Everytime I put in a backup game I now get the Dirty or Damaged disk error...but it still allows me to put in the Evox ISO on CD-RW and it still reads that. I am confused... plase help!

15. MaxBern

MaxBern Guest

I am using Memorex 8x-10x. It says it's for high speed only. (Probably the problem.) I tried on two CD-RW's. The first I used Craxion and on the second I used isoMaker and burned both with Nero. Neither worked. I also tried a DVD+RW with the craxion iso and that didn't work either. Do you think it's the 8x-10x factor?

16. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

It may be the speed you are writing, I have read it should be 4x or less. It could possibly be the drive in your Xbox. My DVD drive is a Thompson and I can't get a backup game to work. I have one I know works, because when I first installed my chip it worked for 2 days then it quit reading the disk and I got an dirty or damaged disk error. I have a friend who I installed the same chip in thier Xbox and they have the same messege and they have an Thompson drive. It may not work because I have heard that Thompson drives are crappy & can't read disks very well.

17. MaxBern

MaxBern Guest

If the boot disk doesn't work does the screen just go to the normal xbox start up screen (excluding the message of 'I can't read this disk'?)

18. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

I think if the boot disk doesn't work I think a M$ screen comes up and says the disk is not readable and you need to insert a playable disk or insert the DVD playback kit. I don't know if it goes up to the normal Xbox screen. If you want to know if the mod chip is properly installed, turn off the Xbox with no game in it and turn it back on. When it starts up after the Flubber thing is done the next screen should have the big X and at the bottom of the screen in white writing under the X should be "E-xecuter 2", if it says Micro$oft then the chip is not properly working. That is what my Xbox does.

19. Drew224

Drew224 Regular member

He already said it has the blue x so it is working.

And you probably got your mod chip before they started coming with Cromwell or it was old stock from before.

20. rsbackup

rsbackup Guest

thanks for the help....couldn't have done it without you, but I have just a few little questions for you.

-what temperature is recommend for soldering
    -would you recommend using a multimeter...is so what is the appropriate power level to look for?